Auto 2 Part Dosing Solutions

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Balancing Alk and other elements is the KEY to a successful reef (well one BIG GIANT ONE). I've done ca reactors, hand dosed 2 part, used kalk, and done a combination of most of them haha.
I'm considering doing another 2 part for now, but I want to automate it.
I use an apex, not the latest one. (I have the orange and white label).

So what is the most precise and safest way to do this using pumps? I see cheap ones and it scares me. I see wicked expensive dosing pumps and those scare me too ha.

Any experience is GREATLY appreciated as this is new water to me.

B.

I just started dosing 2 part using a coral box dosing pump. Its kind of in between as far as prices go. It was very easy to setup and calibrate. So far it has been performing perfect and has held calibration

I've got 2 Apex dosers on my two tanks with Apex, and a 3 head Jebao on my Biocube and they all do a great job and both types are very easy to program.

I can't say I have experience but I just set up a jebao dp-4 on January 1st. I watched a lot of YouTube reviews and saw videos of experienced reefers using a jebao doser and thought it must not be too bad. Not sure if it's true but an arc member told me that the actual pump heads are the same as some of the more expensive options but lack the ease of use/connectivity. I had no issues setting mine up and calibrating the pumps. I tested all the pumps again on Feb 1 to make sure they were accurate.
I guess we'll see if I have issues down the line.

I ended up with a Jebao after much thought and internal debate. They are just so cheap. Most of the horror stories have them not working after a short amount of time and while that's not good, it's not going to nuke the tank. Ideally I'd have an Apex, setup the DOS system and be on my way but the pocket book just didn't allow for it. I've been running the Jebao for 6 months now with no issue.

I ended up with a Jebao after much thought and internal debate. They are just so cheap. Most of the horror stories have them not working after a short amount of time and while that's not good, it's not going to nuke the tank. Ideally I'd have an Apex, setup the DOS system and be on my way but the pocket book just didn't allow for it. I've been running the Jebao for 6 months now with no issue.
will the dos work with the apex classic or do i need that new fancy doodad ha
I've seen just as many posts about that one failing as anything else

i see this BRS option a lot too...

I donno man. I just have soooooo few sticks right now it’s hard to justify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh ok. in the past I used the jebao doser and never had any issues. Or Kamoer X1? Very affordable.

i see this BRS option a lot too...

I was going to put my vote in for these. They are built extremely well, are silent, and very consistent. The larger volume unit has some bad reviews, but these slower ones are bulletproof, IMO.

the only downside is that they are bulky.

I just bought a third one. I believe that @matt7 may have a couple more for sale - he’s been great to work with!

—Ron

I was going to put my vote in for these. They are built extremely well, are silent, and very consistent. The larger volume unit has some bad reviews, but these slower ones are bulletproof, IMO.

the only downside is that they are bulky.

I just bought a third one. I believe that @matt7 may have a couple more for sale - he’s been great to work with!

—Ron
I use this for my vodka/vinegar dosing

Like @snowmansnow , I have used a bit of all of them. I used the Jaebo three headed doser for right at a year with no malfunctions. I recently took my calcium reactor out of line and switched to the Trident/DOS combo. My ALK and calcium are at the most stable levels they have ever been. I've only been running this setup for a couple of months now. Experience tells me that no matter which method and equipment you decide on, from the cheapest to the most expensive, there is no silver bullet. It's all equipment and subject to failure. And more often in my case...stupid user error! No matter what we use, we have to stay vigilant with our systems.

Back