Auto water change setup.

wantsummora acropora

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey All, I’m setting up an AWC system. I was wondering, how many gallons of RO water can go into a 150 gallon tank before my conductivity goes down to detrimental levels (whatever that is)? I want to set my symphony hose and float switch to the appropriate depth. I will probably ad a solenoid as well. Thank you I advance for taking this question. I

Kinda confused with exactly what you’re asking there. Cause you’re talking about AWC but then RO water. Is the 150g your display or a water holding tank?

Hey All, I’m setting up an AWC system. I was wondering, how many gallons of RO water can go into a 150 gallon tank before my conductivity goes down to detrimental levels (whatever that is)? I want to set my symphony hose and float switch to the appropriate depth. I will probably ad a solenoid as well. Thank you I advance for taking this question. I
I would never intentionally allow salinity to be altered, even a somewhat small amount. Salinity changes also means changes in alk,ca,mg, trace elements etc. Enough to matter? Perhaps not - but I can't see a reason why altering salinity is a necessary step in any maintenance or automations.

I agree it sounds like you are talking about the ATO (auto top off) and not AWC (auto water change)
Maybe you could clarify more..
It you start adding gallons at a time to a 150 it wont take much to change the salinity level

BRS has a nice little article on Salinity levels https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/md-2014-05-how-to-measure-salinity-in-saltwater
Salinity is the measure of dissolved salt content in water. Salinity is typically measured in parts per thousand (ppt) or specific gravity (sg). The more salt in your water, the higher your readings will be. Saltwater aquarium salinity is usually kept between 1.020-1.028sg. Some aquarists like to keep fish only aquariums at lower levels (1.017+) to keep salt costs low and to reduce problems with parasites, which don’t survive as well in lower salinity.
Many reef aquarists like to maintain salinity at higher levels, sometimes as high as 1.031 because salinity tends to be higher around a reef. Choose what is right for your aquarium, and make sure it stays stable. An auto top off systemcan alleviate your troubles if evaporation is causing your tank to fluctuate a lot day to day.

I would never intentionally allow salinity to be altered, even a somewhat small amount. Salinity changes also means changes in alk,ca,mg, trace elements etc. Enough to matter? Perhaps not - but I can't see a reason why altering salinity is a necessary step in any maintenance or automations.
My intention, as part of a backup to my backup, is to limit the amount of RO water that can possibly accidentally be pushed into my display tank as top off whether be 5 gallons or 15.

Last edited:
I did mean AT0 but I am setting up both.

Back