Baby snails a good thing?

weaglereefer

Market
Reaction score
In my FW tank, I once had an outbreak of snails from a live plant, and I had to get a fish just to take care of the population. They were a nightmare.

When I set up my 75, I purposely introduced 50-60 snails of a few varieties, and I always see eggs on the glass, so I knew there was some hankey pankey going on. If I look at night time I'll see dozens of snails on the glass, but this is the first time I've actually seen the babies. They look like baby Ceriths. Question is, are these a blessing, or a curse? I don't want the tank to be overrun like my FW tank was.

i've always heard that there was no problem in salt water with snails because SW fish aren't 4 yr old girls.. they man up and eat stuff..

Good question,
I'm in the same situation - many snails (especially smaller ones) will also deplete the calcium quicker..

Robb

Carty;299649 wrote: i've always heard that there was no problem in salt water with snails because SW fish aren't 4 yr old girls.. they man up and eat stuff..

I have a large clown loach who makes a clicking noise at night time. I like to think he's picking up the snails and cracking them on the glass. Ahh, sweet dreams.

I'm sure I can snap one tomorrow. Lights are out for the night. He's about 5" long and likes to lay out on a large leaf on a fake plant (got rid of the live plants...)

Especially ceriths. Most stores sell them for 2 each. Or am I thinking nassarius..

Well since I ordered my CUC from eBay, they were like $0.25 each. In fact my entire CUC only cost about $80 shipped for 50-60 assorted snails (nassarius, cerith, astrea, nerite, and turbo), 25-30 crabs (scarlet reef and blue leg), some brittle sea stars, and 1000 pods.

I do have 2 clams and they're doing great, and I'm almost positive these are the ceriths. I have been keeping an eye on the clam and have never seen anything bothering it, but I'll keep an eye out.

Funny you posted this because my snails must have gotten jealous. I have 4 huge little circles of baby snails on my glass. I have only had the snails in the tank for about 5 days and theyare already spawning...

I finally have baby ceriths. The eggs used to get eaten by the some of the larger pods before they could hatch.

I am really excited about them, because the babies never lasted very long before, but it looks like I might finally get to see some grow to adulthood.

Back