Bad diatoms or something else?

Dmac

Market
Reaction score
So I started my ugly phase about two-and-a-half to three months ago. it was just a light dusting of diatoms but now it's starting to get long and stringy like a spider web. Just want to make sure it's not something else. I'm getting ready to add to my cleanup Crew since many of them have perished and I'm also adding a second wave maker to take care of some low-flow areas. the picture is a shot of my glass but I have it in other areas attached to my rock work as well. All of it is brown

Attachments

• IMG_20200823_134610.jpg
    IMG_20200823_134610.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
if you could take a picture under more white lighting and post it

How's that?

Attachments

• IMG_20200823_135639.jpg
    IMG_20200823_135639.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
sure looks like dinos to me mine started out on the sand but eventually it grew on the wall like a brown stringy spider web

If I remember correctly Dino's are due to low nutrients correct?
yea its suspected low nutrients is the reason for them i got rid of mine by doing a lot less water changes and running UV

Don't think the UV is gonna be an option right now. Any other ideas?

Actually I saw some decently priced sterilizers. Anybody recommend one in particular?

Actually I saw some decently priced sterilizers. Anybody recommend one in particular?
I went with a Jebao 55w one on Amazon. How big is your tank? I had Dino's for about 2-3 months. The UV finally took care of them. Increase your nutrients do a 3 day black out. Some people have seen that raising the temp to 81-82 can help with Dino's.

I use the jabeo 55 watt sterilizer its cheap but works. Its quite large too though.

Lol. That thing wouldn't even fit under my stand right now. It'll have to wait until I upgrade. I guess I'll just have to go the nutrient route for now

So I went for the blackout method. This stuff really started taking off on the sand, rock and some of my corals. I tried blasting it off the glass and sand last night and then siphoned it is well. didn't seem like it put a big enough dent in it. Hopefully the blackout will get me back to ground zero and then I can just work on raising my nitrates.

How old's the system? I had something really similar when I started up my coral QT and I figured it was a combo of GHA and diatom getting together. The tank aged out of that phase without much intervention.

Lol. That thing wouldn't even fit under my stand right now. It'll have to wait until I upgrade. I guess I'll just have to go the nutrient route for now
Look for coralife turbo twist. I have one on my QT and a larger one on my DT and they are compact but work great! And they don’t break the bank

So I went for the blackout method. This stuff really started taking off on the sand, rock and some of my corals. I tried blasting it off the glass and sand last night and then siphoned it is well. didn't seem like it put a big enough dent in it. Hopefully the blackout will get me back to ground zero and then I can just work on raising my nitrates.
If you have a carbon reactor we ran that during the blackout to clear the Dino toxin as they died. Shawn @aestheticlibra was absolutely our savior. Dinos almost did us in.

How old's the system? I had something really similar when I started up my coral QT and I figured it was a combo of GHA and diatom getting together. The tank aged out of that phase without much intervention.
The tank has been up since about the middle of January this year. I was going to try and let them phase out but they started choking some of my coral and I didn't want to lose any.

Back