battery backup

andi.rahl

Market
Reaction score
It's clear that I'm going to need a backup source of power since this is the third time power has gone out for more than a few seconds since I moved in at the end of January. I don't have a lot of money to spare right now so if someone could recommend one that won't decimate my bank account while also doing its job to keep the essentials on my tank going that'd be great. It's estimated my power will be out for another hour. What can I do in the meantime?

It is often best to plan on having a backup for essential devices only.

For example: you won’t need a light, for up to several days.

I only have my pump(s)/powerheads and the Apex, if you run a controller. Perhaps dosing pump(s) also.

Can you describe the various devices & models you have? That would make a recommendation much easier, as it’s all dependent on how much power they draw.

My power is out as well but my battery back is only powering my Mp40’s and not my vectra, I opted for ecotech when I started my water box build I forget how much those battery backups were but if you go that route I would suggest purchasing the booster as well as I will be doing so in the morning via Premier Aquatics

To go cheap I would use a usb air pump with a usb power bank or a battery powered air supply so at least you’ll get oxygenation. Like the ones used for a bait bucket

Fwiw,
I chose all DC powered pumps (Varios) & power-heads (Vortech, Maxspect, Tunze) because it’s much more efficient (lasts longer) to run directly off of a battery, than to use a battery powered inverter/UPS to power an AC pump motor.

I saved a lot by building some of my own battery/switching circuitry. I also have Ecotech backups for the Vortech's, which I got used & refurbished.

An inexpensive solution combined with a battery, below.

Or, you can source the parts on Amazon & save a lot more, if you have the knowledge & skills to diy.

I have a hygger mini wave maker (says its dc), aquaclear filter, ai prime light, a heater, and a digital thermometer so basically what I'm seeing is that I need something to power the hygger? I am not tech savvy enough to build something for myself. Thankfully the power was only out for 2 hours for me, but I'm trying to plan for next time. Sorry I'm also fairly unwell right now so I passed out waiting for the power to come back anyways. I don't use anything else right now as I live in an older house and the maintenance guy is always going on about how I shouldn't plug too many things into one outlet here....

There are videos online showing how to build battery backups. Jim on Instagram and YouTube has lots of info

If you don’t want to diy, then IceCap has a new plug & play battery backup for $130.

The only thing I can think of is that you might need a plug in adapter for you Hygger power plug. Those are available online also, if needed.

Back