Battle of the Coraline Algea~~~!

Linda Lee;207143 wrote: Mark, is Sammy shipping this to you? If so, could you add a second scraper to that order and I could pick it up from your place and split the shipping?

I ordered from another online company. But I can see if I can add another scraper. I'll PM you the details.

flyingarmy;207124 wrote: One thing I have noticed also is that it seems the more I scrape the more the coraline pops up everywhere
Yup. One of the fastest ways to seed coraline in a tank is take a brush/scraper to a rock with it.

Okay mark. I will scrape once a month for some great frags or will babysit once a month so you and the wife can go out on a date doeS great frag lol

LDYBKR;207368 wrote: Okay mark. I will scrape once a month for some great frags or will babysit once a month so you and the wife can go out on a date doeS great frag lol

Nancy..nice offer! The frags are always free. I need to frag more often and stop neglecting the frag tank.

OMG..if we could give Rep points on ARC I'd give a gazzillion to Jorge for the scraper idea. This is hands down the easiest, most effective way to scrape of your glass tank from the inside. It took me 15 minutes to completely clean the front (down to the sand) and one side of my 160. The coraline was caked on so thick it looked like Barney had exploded in my tank. Purple specs everywhere. I had to stop and let the tank settle several times but the fish were enjoying the coraline treats floating throughout the tank. I'll have ot make a video of me cleaning the remaining side to show just how effective this cleaning tool is at removing anything off your glass! Thanks for the suggestion Jorge!!!

I'm looking forward to getting mine! I cleaned my glass yesterday and it was a royal pain in the tuckus. I have a tall stand, so had to use a ladder and my Outer Orbit light fixture is on short legs, so I had to prop it up over the tank. Took me forever and I had relatively little to clean.

Mark, does this scraper go down below the sand level along the front of the glass? I think this is the scraper Cameron said he used to keep that nice clean line where the sand, glass and water meet.

Lol.....thanks Mark...I wish I could take the credit but it wasn't my idea.....there was a post about it on here not too long ago.....glad it's working out for you though.

i use those wool pads and it took me 15 min to clean all 4 viewable sides of my 55g.

blind1993;209270 wrote: i use those wool pads and it took me 15 min to clean all 4 viewable sides of my 55g.

Try doing that from a ladder cleaning a 90g and reaching up underneath the short legs of an Outer Orbit light fixture where there's 4" of clearance. It can't be done. Even with the light fixture completely removed, I can barely touch the sandbed when reaching down into my tank.

And none of the algae scrub pads I've ever used will remove coraline.

Linda Lee;209272 wrote: Try doing that from a ladder cleaning a 90g and reaching up underneath the short legs of an Outer Orbit light fixture where there's 4" of clearance. It can't be done. Even with the light fixture completely removed, I can barely touch the sandbed when reaching down into my tank.

And none of the algae scrub pads I've ever used will remove coraline.

if you want ill give you a pad and you can see, it is not like a regular pad it has a ton of tiny circles.

blind1993;209342 wrote: if you want ill give you a pad and you can see, it is not like a regular pad it has a ton of tiny circles.

The point is, it has to be used from the inside. There's no way to reach all the place I need to clean. On a 55, it would be fine. On a 90g tall, no.

I have the EZ-scraper now. This is fine.

But thanks.

i know it sounds crazy but increase the light. get it to about 10 watts per gallon and your coraline algae will decline to just under the rocks. :)

Simon.Kruger;209380 wrote: i know it sounds crazy but increase the light. get it to about 10 watts per gallon and your coraline algae will decline to just under the rocks. :)

Don't know how cost effective that would be Simon! Army's tank would need 1,600 watts and Linda's would need 900!:)
Dave

I am only running 1100 watts currently...a tad bit short. Plus I'd need a different chiller!

im have 5x400watt MH and 6x58watt T5 and i still get coraline algae. i know if i went 3x1000watts 10K MH id have none. the bigger question would be whats making your coraline algae over active. sort of a nice issue to have, other than its an issue to keep the glass clean.

Simon.Kruger;209443 wrote: sort of a nice issue to have, other than its an issue to keep the glass clean.

Honestly since I bought the Easy Blade...it's no longer an issue. I just have to remember to take it out of the tank and rinse it with fresh water since the blades will rust.

Back