Behind the scene tour GA Aquarium

pbyrmartin

Market
Reaction score
I did the tour yesterday, I have been meaning to go ever since I miss the ARC tour when they first open.
That's a reef tank on a whole other level there, I love the protein Skimmers , well I love the entire setup.
I have a question, the tour guide said they don't do water changes due to the size of the reef tank, he said they pass the water through some kind of media and this make up for water changes also he said they don't use RO water, the tap water also pass through some kind of carbon.
Anyone knows if this is correct.

I will post pic soon

Lax, you just go to the web site to purchase a "behind the scenes pass". It's easy and SOOOOO worth it. If you are a diver, I recommend the "dive with the gentle giants" as well. Expensive, but worth it.

Rich, I heard them say the same thing about the RO and the top off. Reportedly, the entire 8 million gallons was filled with water straight from the municipal sources. No pre-treatment. Good old ATL water... Steve Shindel may be able to comment on the top off water. I believe it is such that the total water volume is so large, they are not worried about the relatively tiny effects of the make-up water would have on the system. Sort of like us doing a 1/2 cup of tap water in a 200G system...

Here's a link. You may qualify for a group discount with that many.

a>

I'm an annual pass holder and would be down. Probably going Friday to hang out and watch the tanks.

We did an article for the magazine on Reef Central last August or September on that exhibits - it should have all the details in it.

I'm down for a tour. all ways wanted to go see. let us know when the tour is so i can schedule accordingly i may have some family members that want to go too so more people less cost

BrentonPrice;323757 wrote: Hey guys I am a Volunteer at the Aquarium and if u want to get a small group of people together I can get 50% off all behind the scenes tours for my guests.

Lets get a group of 10 together......

Brenton, would you like to start a new thread? we already have 3 or 4 people interested already...

I'd be interested, but I bet my off time will not math up with you guys. On the 1% chance it does. I'm down for it. (me and the wife)

SShindell;323716 wrote: We did an article for the magazine on Reef Central last August or September on that exhibits - it should have all the details in it.

I found the article
here is the link

a>

BrentonPrice;323757 wrote: Hey guys I am a Volunteer at the Aquarium and if u want to get a small group of people together I can get 50% off all behind the scenes tours for my guests.

I'm in if it's a Sunday.

I would also be interested in a behind the scenes tour. Let me know if a new thread is started for sign up.

Thx

Just seeing the mangroves above the reef tank and the coral propagation room is worth the behind the scenes imho.

Chemipure is somthing similar to that I beleive. The little black backs of a carbon like substrate.

here are a few pic
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
324039=16192-DSC_0004.jpg
>
324039=16192-DSC_0004.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0004.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
324039=16193-DSC_0054.jpg
>
324039=16193-DSC_0054.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0054.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
324039=16194-DSC_0171.jpg
>
324039=16194-DSC_0171.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0171.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
324039=16195-DSC_0199.jpg
>
324039=16195-DSC_0199.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0199.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
324039=16196-DSC_0200.jpg
>
324039=16196-DSC_0200.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0200.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
324039=16197-DSC_0203.jpg
>
324039=16197-DSC_0203.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0203.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

wife, youngest and I did the full price tour today. Frag propogation area/room was basically empty, with one small kenya tree in about 10' of frag tank.
The reef exhibit has a spectacular display of manjano anemones, and a handful of corals.
One unexpected sideshow of our trip today was seeing shark eggs that were missed by the staff in the upper section of the reef display. Took a pic, but has so much reflection you can't make out anything.
At $50/person, I was overall kinda disappointed. We got the behind the scenes tour at the Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg, and honestly took more useful info away.
Was cool seeing the whale sharks and the Beluga's though, but we got that with the general admission price.

Hmm, wonder how much power those lights use? Seems like for such a nice new place, they could have sprung for solar tubes and bragged about being "green".

I hope, if an ARC tour is put together, they at least put a guide with us who will tailor the tour to enthusiasts. I imagine a lot of stuff gets left out due to patrons who know squat about reef-related matters.

Back