Best all in one tanks

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
So im still in the process of building my main DT and the wife just told me she wants a small tank in the bedroom. 1st thoughts are an all in one tank. BioCubes, Nuvo's etc.. what are everyone's thoughts on good setups?

What size? 8, 14, or 30? Do you like the curves in the bio/nano? or are you looking for a rimless rectangle?

I really enjoyed my nanocube. Not much to complain about other than the hqi heating the tank up quite a bit.

IMO, RedSea makes the best AIO tanks. The Max C-130 and C-250 are awesome tanks with a lot of bells and whistles. Was over at a fellow members house a while back, and he has a white c-250. It is a beautiful tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Innovative marines are best looking imo. But I like the rimless look

like grant said i'm with the red sea on the best tank but on cost, looks and over all function I would say the classic bio cubes are just a top chose.
compact size, built in flexibility with filtration, upgradeable lighting, hood and more.
just what I like from my angle.

ghbrewer;1057916 wrote: IMO, RedSea makes the best AIO tanks. The Max C-130 and C-250 are awesome tanks with a lot of bells and whistles. Was over at a fellow members house a while back, and he has a white c-250. It is a beautiful tank.

Agreed. The C-130 Redsea is probably one of our top 3 best selling tanks. We have tons of these out on the field and they are truly reef ready... from filtration to lighting there isn't really anything to upgrade even if you wanted to.

Don't get me wrong for the money the NanoCubes and BioCubes do a really good job. The Redsea systems are definitely a step or 2 above those in my opinion though. But just like most things in this hobby... at 3x the price it's kind of a you get what you pay for type of situation.

But if you are straight up asking for the best All-In-One as the title of the thread states then it is very hard to beat the Redsea Systems.

Also don't rule out the new Redsea Reefers. They aren't full All-In-One systems but they get you most of the way and you just pick out your own Lights, pumps, and skimmer. Which has also been very popular for us. Gives the customer more options.

I'm usually not one to talk down upon brands but we had a major head aches and issues with the first generation IM and Nuvo tanks. Main problems we had was the filter wall/overflow would start to separate from the glass and we actually had 2 of them completely bust on the curve of the glass. Which is actually one of the reason Redsea completely dropped the curved glass when they upgraded from the D Models to the C models. Since then talking with the brand representatives directly and doing research seems like lots of the issues are apparently fixed. But still left a bad enough taste from all service emergencies and returns that we decided to drop both lines entirely.

Jakub

just trying to weigh all options. I thought the all in ones might keep it simple but it does restrict on sizing etc. I was thinking longer and skinnier then cubes etc. Any one had experience with the cadlights? what are the smaller RR tanks? There isnt a 40B type reef ready tank is there?

I just setup a 57g rimless (deep blue professional) at the office. It has the same foot print as a 40b.

I like the Bio cubes and Red sea, Bio cube for inexpensive and red sea if expense is not a concern. If you like to tinker and don't mind some work, you can build your own (40 or 30 Breeder is a nice choice). I have made all in one's from 2.5g up to 150g. It all depends on what you want and how much work you want to do.

Anyone have experience with the JBJ's?

I've had a JBJ 24 for over a year now and I like it, but the curved glass is annoying to clean at times because I can't effectively use a glass scraper to clear the hard algae on the curved glass . I also have a Nuvo 10 and am quite happy with it.

Hey John,

I have had a JBJ Nano DX 12 gallon running in my bedroom for SEVERAL years. I absolutely LOVED it. The great things about it; minimal evaporation, simple filtration and lighting, grows Zoas, xenia, candy cane, shrooms, other softies extremely well. Temp is good so no need for chiller. Moons are not crazy bright...

Bads; other corals do not do well, no skimmer capabilities, no media reactor.

Just upgraded to a 40 Innovative. Great looking product!! I fabricated glass tops to cover main tank. It has helped with evaporation. I added a CadLight Skimmer and IM media reactor. I am Running a Kessil 350 with Gooseneck mount. It is all really clean. Problems I am having now, I need to find a moonlight I can mount under the lip of the glass tops. The illuminating glare puts to much blue out to the ceiling. I need some extremely small water proof blues. But I will get that figures out soon.

Red Sea tanks; I had a 130D one time before. Issue I had and I see LOTS having is temp. If you go that route you may want to look into the add on chiller. I would think that would not be a fun thing to have in the bedroom though.

Just my $.02... I have had them all... LOL

I would also be happy to shoot you picts of any of them you would like to see... Shoot me a PM if interested in comparing that way.

Barrettrhoades;1058246 wrote: While the Redsea all-in-one's are very nice tanks, be aware of the temperature issues you will have. Unless you keep your house 65-68 deg. year round you will need to have a chiller if you want to run your protein skimmer. I have had a C-130 for over a year and have really only been able to run my skimmer for a couple of days. Running the skimmer will take my tank up 4 degrees from 78-82 within a matter of hours. I am not the only one that has these issues, and although I love the look of the c series, I would have been much better off having a sump with an external pump that wouldn't introduce so much heat into the system.

Normally I keep my house around 68 in the winter and 72 in the summer, and have still been unable to run my skimmer without my tank heating up. I keep all of the fans clean, have replaced the skimmer pump and still no luck. It is a softy and LPS only tank so it is fine without a skimmer, however I do have some excess nutrients that cause more algae than I prefer.

On a more positive note, The design of the filtration area in the back is well done, I really like the look of the tank and stand (mine is white) The T5 lighting grows almost anything. I would have liked to see the bulbs be slightly further apart to get better coverage in the whole tank, but the color is about 10k. It would be nice if there were more than two bulbs so that the color specrum could be customized more.

I have the 130d and do run a chiller, the closed canopy structure doesn't help. But your post got me thinking. Doesn't the skimmer pump produce the exact same amount of heat regardless of where it's located? Sump is still part of the closed system, so introducing heat there will carry over to the tank.

Back