Best Aptasia removal for nano?

joshainga

Market
Reaction score
I've been battling Aptasia in my nuvo 25 for a few months. I've been using Red Sea Aptasia X and it seems every time I use it I get several more that pop up. I make sure that the Aptasia take it in as if they are feeding and turn return pump as well as the wavemaker off for at least 15 mins to make sure that the paste stays on them. Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong?

I use this: https://atlantareefclub.org/boards/index.php?threads/reef-napalm.38760/

It will melt aptasia. I stick a syringe in each individual aptasia and press plunger just before making contact. I had some very large aptasia and it cleared them out.
The only other real way I’d trust to get rid of them are aptasia eating nudibranch but they’re harder to find and pricey. They’d be my last resort.

Peppermint shrimp seems like a good choice for a nano tank.. Seems they are hit or miss though. Do you have fish? If not I think the chance of success with peppermint shrimp goes way up, since you don't have to feed they are much more likely to eat Aiptasia.

I got one peppermint shrimp for my 22g after seeing just a few aiptasia. I never saw another aiptasia after that. The peppermint shrimp lasted about 6 months then one day disappeared. That was 2 years ago Aiptasia free.

I'll have some berghia nudibranch available starting Feb 20th. These are the only way to get aiptasia out. I've also tried everything. Berghia will be $15 each and you'll need 5 for a tank that size.

I'll have some berghia nudibranch available starting Feb 20th. These are the only way to get aiptasia out. I've also tried everything. Berghia will be $15 each and you'll need 5 for a tank that size.
Sign me up for my 29 gallon.

I also use reef napalm that @hiimsean alluded to. But I do have good luck with Aptaia X too and that's usually my first line of defense. Here's the exact stuff I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Rooto-Househ...?keywords=red+devil+lye&qid=1644771052&sr=8-6

It works great but I don't have to make nearly as much as Dave (Acroholic) used to. He used to mix 80g in 1 litre of RODI. I break that down and usually make a smaller amount by mixing 20 grams in 250mL of RODI. It works great but will smoke anything it gets on.

Last edited:
I also use reef napalm that @hiimsean alluded to. But I do have good luck with Aptaia X too and that's usually my first line of defense. Here's the exact stuff I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Rooto-Househ...?keywords=red+devil+lye&qid=1644771052&sr=8-6

It works great but I don't have to make nearly as much as Dave (Acroholic) used to. He used to mix 80g in 1 litre of RODI. I break that down and usually make a smaller amount by mixing 20 grams in 250mL of RODI. It works great but will smoke anything it gets on.
Aww.. I miss Dave.. he was so badass..

I have a handful of nudibranchs to get rid of. I counted 12 or more full size ones last night and found a clutch of eggs. These guys have wiped out my 90 that was completely overrun by aptasia. I’m in Warner Robins if you are interested or anyone for that matter.

I've been battling Aptasia in my nuvo 25 for a few months. I've been using Red Sea Aptasia X and it seems every time I use it I get several more that pop up. I make sure that the Aptasia take it in as if they are feeding and turn return pump as well as the wavemaker off for at least 15 mins to make sure that the paste stays on them. Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong?
Yeah, you’re using Aiptasia X that’s what you’re doing wrong. F Aiptasia works a lot better. My methods for removing aiptasia are 1) physically cutting it off the rock when possible. This the ONLY 100% affective method of removing aiptasia. 2) use F Aiptasia when you have a clean clear shot at completely covering the aiptasia without the chemical dripping off. 3) Use super glue when the aiptasia is on a vertical surface or in or on a coral that will be damaged by F Aiptasia. My 150 was infested with them. I tried Nuibranches-they got eaten. I tried peppermint shrimp they hide on the left side of my tank and the aiptasia always appear on the right side of my tank. When I Started using my 3 point method aggressively I got them under control. Now I find about 1 or 2 every four months or so.

I've heard horror stories of aptasia X spreading the aptasia. I've always used superglue to smother them.
That’s what I’m dealing with now. Started with like 4-5 and now that’s turned to 30-40 🤦‍♂️. Aptasia x turned it from a nuisance to an infestation

Aww.. I miss Dave.. he was so badass..
Dave actually is the one who got me into the hobby. I worked for my aunts pet store in Hiram and he use to come in and we talked several times and he helped me get my first tank up and running. He was a great guy for sure.

That’s what I’m dealing with now. Started with like 4-5 and now that’s turned to 30-40 🤦‍♂️. Aptasia x turned it from a nuisance to an infestation
I found with aptasia x you have to inject directly into the oral disk to kill it. If aptasia are irritated they will release spores and spread even more.

Back