Best Filtration for Nano's?

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
My goal is sparkling water in a 12g, and I know it can be achieved because I've seen it.

I have a 12g Cube Master which I absolutely loved -- for about a week. The filtration in 3 chambers is:

Intake Chamber - some kind of cotton/cloth-like material that looks like quilt batting. This gets absolutely filthy so I take it out every other week or so and rinse it. I don't know if I should be replacing it, where I can get it or even what it's called.

Middle Chamber - mesh bag of carbon and mesh bag of http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+15433&pcatid=15433">this stuff</a>. The carbon I replace, the other stuff I rinse and reuse. Should I replace it also?

3rd Chamber - return pump.

No instructions came with the Cube Master, so I'm pretty much guessing as to set up.

This tank gets dirty fast. Stuff floats on the surface and there is no surface skimmer (I'm not even sure what that is).

The tank occupants are: 1 large piece of L/R, GBTA, pair of B&W clowns, 2 pom pom crabs a couple of small hermits and snails and various corals (ric, bubble coral, small kenya, shrooms, plate coral, birdsnest, GSP, suncoral). l feed this tank every other day.

I'm considering a nano skimmer for one of the chambers, if it'll fit but I'm not sure how that would work or which chamber, etc. And I don't know which skimmer to buy.

============

2nd tank is a 12g [IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17550">nano cube DX</a> I got from a member here. It seems to be much better made. Tank has been running for a couple of weeks with sand and LR. Only filtration I've put in there is a sponge. Previous owner used bioballs. If I use this one, the lighting is PC, and I'm not sure it would support the GBTA.

============

I want to take a nano tank to work, but need to figure out the filtration and set-up first so I won't have a huge mess on my hands at the office.

Any suggestions? This has been a real struggle for a few months.

================

linda a bought a extra skimmer for biocube is good for a 14 and 29 biocubes i think you can fit this in your 12gls. I'll take trades for it... let me know

Linda,
I have a tall 11 gallon nano (not all in one). I use live rock and a hang on back aqua clear to put carbon and GFO in it and to give some flow along with a HOB Aqua C Nano Remora for that size tank. I have had it for over two years with no problems. Have stocked with a nemo, a pj cardinal and Yellow watchman with about 5 corals. I did add a small clump of Chaeto to help with nutrient export. Also, I change water of about 2 gallons once a week or there about. Lighting is only PC of 39 watts. Hope that helps.

Joe

jhutto;214201 wrote: Linda,
I have a tall 11 gallon nano (not all in one). I use live rock and a hang on back aqua clear to put carbon and GFO in it and to give some flow along with a HOB Aqua C Nano Remora for that size tank. I have had it for over two years with no problems. Have stocked with a nemo, a pj cardinal and Yellow watchman with about 5 corals. I did add a small clump of Chaeto to help with nutrient export. Also, I change water of about 2 gallons once a week or there about. Lighting is only PC of 39 watts. Hope that helps.

Joe

Thanks, Joe... great info and I might try this for the nano @ home, but I really need a solution for one @ work. It needs to remain all-in-one (nothing h.o.b. that would add sound). I have people around me so this needs to be super quiet.

Also, what's GFO?

GFO is the phosphate remover. The little pellets or powder you put in a bag to remove phosphates. It takes only a small amount. Takes the algae bloom away.

My Nanocube 12 Was Super Clean. I Did By A Surface Skimmer On Ebay Or You Can Make One Out Of An Old Tape Case. 1st Chamber Lr Rubble ,2nd Chamber Take Vinle Off Back Add Small Light Make Fuge Out Of It. Up Grade Pump To Mj 600 Throw A Bag Of Chemipure In The 3rd As Well. I Added A Nano Koralia And Mine Worked Perfect.

How do I install http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=JB7333&utm_source=mdcse_google_base&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=JB7331&utm_content=JBJ%20Nano%20Cube%20M.S.S.%20(Modular%20Surface%20Skimmer)%20for%206G&utm_campaign=mdcse&site=google_base">this thing</a>? I actually have one that came with the nano, but I don't know where to attach it and I don't have the original instructions.

Someone have a picture?

[IMG]http://www.f3images.com/IMD/250/JB7333/JB7333_99.jpg alt="" />

You just hold the surface skimmer on the back intake until the pressure from the water in the main tank is able to hold it.

As for keeping your water clean, you should try Purigen. It's maed by Seachem and is probably the most common used media in nano cubes besides carbon. Purigen is 5x better in carbon IMO.

Back