best fish for monti eating nudis??

mph84

Market
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just found out that I have monti eating nudis.. Arrrgg!!!! Anyways I dipped all my montis and have done tons of reading but I am also looking for the best fish to eat these things if they make it through all the dips to come. I'm thinking sixline wrasse but also want some flashers soon so... any ideas are welcome.

thanks

mike

yellow and white wrasse. Just my personal experience, he eats everything that can fit in his mouth: pods, brittle star legs, red bugs, basically any small invert out there. This though may just be my fishes personality, so maybe I struck gold lol.

Yellow coris wrasse. Keep in mind they you will most likely never get rid of them, merely keep them in check.

They would starve if you pulled out all your monti's right? How long would that take? If you were able to have the monti's pulled out I'd think you could eventually win the war if you paid attention daily as they wouldn't get to a reproductive age. I never had them outside of a QT

I had them in my old tank. Once I saw them, I added a yellow coris. I never saw them again or any eaten montis. A year later when my yc jumped, they were back. Noone know how long they can live w/o eating montis, but that logic would work with time.

Anyone got any kids doing science fair this year? I got a project for em =-)

Thanks a ton guys. I've got a few pieces i don't think i can get out to dip so i gotta do something. I dipped all the montis that showed signs of being eaten but i'm worried about the ones i can't get out.

So did you see them when you dipped? Get the yellow coris asap and they'll destroy them. Like I said, I had them, but NEVER saw any damage after adding one.

MvM;748620 wrote: So did you see them when you dipped? Get the yellow coris asap and they'll destroy them. Like I said, I had them, but NEVER saw any damage after adding one.

Yep i saw them all over my sunset monti. I had been trying to figure out why it had dead spots on it... Its about a 12" colony so i was pretty worried!!

Frantz;748609 wrote: They would starve if you pulled out all your monti's right? How long would that take? If you were able to have the monti's pulled out I'd think you could eventually win the war if you paid attention daily as they wouldn't get to a reproductive age. I never had them outside of a QT

The problem with monti eating nudibranchs is that they lay their eggs on or next to your montis! I figured that since these nudis <u>only</u> eat montis, that I would just treat all 100+ of my monti frags and none of my other frags/corals. Monti eating nudis reproduce every 72-96 hours. :eek:

I got rid of my monti eating nudibranchs by performing the following regimen:<ol>
<li>Dipped <u>all</u> my montis in a separate container of CoralRx for the recommended time and strength using a maxijet 900 to circulate the solution, then</li>
<li>Physically removed all of the dead monti eating nudibranchs for the coral with a pin, then</li>
<li>Took a magnifying glass and a toothbrush and carefully inspected each monti frag plug and monti coral for eggs and scrubbed them off, then</li>
<li>Swished the frag in the CoralRx solution again, then</li>
<li>Swished the frag plugs in a saltwater tub to wash off the CoralRx water, then</li>
<li>Repeated the above steps every 72-96 hours for a total of six times to break their lifecycle.</li>
</ol>After the sixth bath, I did not see any more nudibranchs. However, I continued this regimen for a total of nine times since I did not want to risk having missed one.

I never saw another nudibranch after this.

Good luck! And keep us posted about what you decide to do.

Bob

Back