Best Flow Configuration for a 180g would be....?

Ace of Spades;299845 wrote: Know what's better than 16 vortechs? 17 of em

My vote is for Vortechs

I'm not sure if it would be funny or awesome to have $7k in powerheads...

The tank is up vortechs will never see the inside of one of my tanks just because of the price.

Currently I have two directional loc lines on the return run by a mag 9.5.

There are 2 Koralia 3's one on each overflow.

I was thinking more like a couple more Koralias or a couple modded Mjets.

DrNecropolis;299957 wrote: I had a mag 18 for a return and 3 k4's

In what size system, Doc?

I'm looking at the K4's. This would be the time to get them with the great price at Pet Mountain.

vortechs.. Once you use them you'll never go back. They are worth the money in my view.

I have 4 X 6105 Tunzes in my 210 with a Tunze 7095 Multi-Controller. I prefer the Tunzes because they are aimable, and can be placed on the back of the tank.

But I have one Vortech MP40W on my square chalice tank, and it provides gentle flow dialed back to 50%.
Dave

Acroholic;300044 wrote: I prefer the Tunzes because they are aimable, and can be placed on the back of the tank.

No real reason to aim a vortech though. :thumbs:

rostato;300072 wrote: No real reason to aim a vortech though. :thumbs:

I don't know about that. Vortechs are basically limited to the sides of the tank if you want full flow, unless your tank is very deep front to back or you have them dialed down a lot. They have the same limitations as Tunzes regarding placement near corals to avoid blowing the skin off them. An aimable pump can avoid these issues. I prefer the aesthetics of a reef without cords or pumps hanging from the sides of the tank.

I am able to have four 6105s on the back of my tank, have full flow, and not disturb my sand bed in the process, and that is because the Tunzes are aimable.
Dave

ares;300050 wrote: I went out this weekend and picked up 2 more 6105s, got them set up like you did. working very nicely, program 1 definitely works better.

Yea, I had no idea the sand blowing was caused by the 30% the non cycling pumps were doing in Interval 2. Glad it is working for you. I don't mind soaking the impellers in vinegar a bit more often if it keeps the sand bed in place.
Dave

Jeez it took me forever to aim my 4 k4's in my 120.. I had a constant sand storm before I got it just right... Agree with aimables

Hate to jack your thread Linda...but I am nearing this stage with my build as well.
For the Vortec fans
What makes Vortec's so much more expensive? Or Better. I have NO experience with this product.

If they are indeed worth the money I will likely go that way. Otherwise I will head in a more frugal direction.

Back