Best Flow Configuration for a 180g would be....?

its indescribale (~sp) the flow of the vortechs. If you don't wanna put down the coin for those, then go w/ the MJ mods. You're gonna have about $50-60 in each one, but to me better than the koralias. Spring for the magnet as well--it's pretty darn good-

If I wanted lotsa flow onthe cheap, Maxijets with the Mod for sure.

Since I own both Tunzes and a Vortech, one thing I do not like on the Vortech is the night flow mode. The Tunze controller has a photosensor that controls night flow mode. When the lights go out it cuts the pumps to 30%, and goes back to the regular program when lights come on, and you can turn this feature on and off. The Tunze photosensor has a little LED moon light on it as well that is completely useless, but I have this mode shut off.

Vortechs have a night flow, but you must be there at exactly the time of day you want it to start to program the timer, and if you cut power to the Vortech, you have to reprogram it again exactly the same way. Big pain in the arse! Other than that, it is excellent. The Tunze night mode system is more intuitive and user friendly, IMO.
Dave

HAving run both tunze and vortechs, I can honestly say that I prefer the vortechs. I was very concerned about the inability to "aim" a vortech, but honestly, O dont see that it makes a difference. The flow is SO wide and dispersed. I ran 4 tunze that were just as, if not more powerful than the vortechs, and after running the vortechs, the amount of debris that was pulled out of caves, crevices, and nooks, was insane.

I, personally, think the nozzle on the tunze is too small and define, and still produces more a focused flow that the VTs, but they are still awesome. The new line have the Ball and socket mount, which allows for a lot more variability.

Nonetheless, I think flow is one of the most underated and overlooked aspects of aquarium health. Everyone knows that flows is best for "SPS", but I believe that overall aquarium health, including fish health, is significantly imporved with heavy flow.

OK lets restart this topic.

PLEASE NOTE the direction of the question is changing the word VORTECH is VERBOTTEN!

I do not/will not have the money for vortechs so here is what I was thinking.

I have 2 returns which is run by a MAG 9.5 upgrading to a 12 I believe.

I was going to tip the returns with eductors.

Currently I have 2 Koralia 3's and am thinking about adding two modded MJ 1200's.

This IS whats going to be in the tank.

So here is what you have to work with two eductors on loc-line, 2 K3's and 2 modded how would you place them and why?

NOTE the glass is too thick for the Koralia magnets so one will have to be placed on the thinner acrylic of the overflow box.

The Maxi's will have magnets strong enough for the glass.

GO!

I know it's not so traditional, but I put my two larger powerheads on one side of the tank. I had two Seio 1500s on the right side and a smaller Seio on the edge of the right overflow. I saw it in Cameron's tank and after trying it that's what I settled on.

I don't think the koralias are going to do a lot in that tank, but the modded maxijet I was using put out a lot of flow.

Speaking of which, I have two Seio 1500s that probably won't fit in my cube ;-)

Understood. I would absolutely not rely on your teurn to be adequate for flow within the tank if this is going to be a reef. Particularly with a Mag 9. After head loss from plumbing and height, I would think you'd be lucky to have, at best half of the 950 GPH hitting the tank. You might want to look into investing some more into circulation.

I hope you have enough water draining for the mag 12. I have one on my 100 and I have to throttle it back running two 1'' drains--I might as well have a mag 9.5 on there (which is what I had before and it worked fine w/o throttling back pump). If it's gonna be a reef, then you REALLY need to re-think your water movement. A 180 is a big tank. A word of advice-start out w/ what you've got-even get you a couple of the MJ mods. that'll def. help out. I would prob. put a min. of one on each end (the MJ mod), but would be better to have two on each end. Then put your koralias on the back wall kinda 'blowing' forward. Put the koralias about in the 1/3 from each end. That'll help kinda 'mix it up' a little--but save back for the vortechs-once you see them in action, you'll see why they get RAVE reviews!

jmaneyapanda;300301 wrote: Understood. I would absolutely not rely on your teurn to be adequate for flow within the tank if this is going to be a reef. Particularly with a Mag 9. After head loss from plumbing and height, I would think you'd be lucky to have, at best half of the 950 GPH hitting the tank. You might want to look into investing some more into circulation.
I didn't figure that the returns would be a major factor but more a contributer if you know what I mean.

I can tell that the head is keeping the mag 9.5 down. On the 125 I had it returning through two eductors that shot water like a fire hose.

Basically I thought with eductors on the current set up it would give me enough flow across the rocks.

How bout every morning I just do a cannonball that should keep the water moving all day.

Who has a big tank I can come and see flow in?

Back