Best local place to buy clams....

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering what opinions were on the best local place to buy a clam?

Thanks,
Jorge

Long John Silvers plus you get two hush puppies YUM!

Thanks for the info on the filter!

<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: blue;">Loren W.</span></span>

Cap bay have ALOT of clams. They're a sponsor and I just love their store. Their large colonies are also reasonably price, actually very inexpensive if you take into account for their overhead cost.

ouling;54699 wrote: Cap bay have ALOT of clams.
Not so much anymore. They have many nice clams, but don't seem to be the clam superstore they once were. I'm not sure if it's a supply thing or if they fell victim to the clam plague.

You know I can not recommend Cap Bay. ;)

I would say Posidens Reef but PM me in referance to that.

I think we are going to try to get a privite group buy for Clams Direct if you are interested.

ouling;54699 wrote: Cap bay have ALOT of clams.

Ummm, not recently. They don't have anywhere near the amount they have had in the past. I do believe they had a few nice Maxima clams though. Posiden's Reef had some very nice looking Crocea clams a few weeks ago.

Well I'm a CAP BAY guy then i guess. But I remember they use to carry a massive amount of clams. I went by today and didn't pay much attention to the clam selection. They do have a couple of very large ones in the middle display. And i got 3 really large SPS colonies (1 is mili) for $110, not bad. Poseidon Reef charge a little bit more for SPS than Cap Bay. And I never have to light acclimate anything from cap bay when it comes into my tank.

*shameful self promotion*
I have a $116.95 gift certificate for Clams Direct if anyone would like to buy it from me :)

Clams Direct seems to have a pretty sketchy shipping policy:

"<span style="font-family: Arial;">One thing I would like to mention regarding shipping; we do everything possible to protect your livestock. We pack your livestock in a Styrofoam 1.5" container and double and triple bag and also have liners in them but once the package is out of our hands, we have no control as how it is handled by the shipper. We even mark the boxes, "Live Animal" and have arrows indicating that the box is to remain upright."</span>

Not to mention $50 seems a little pricey. Has anyone ordered from them before? If so, how was your experience?

The Clams Direct guy is very stand up and is considered an expert on clams. He has given numerous presentations around the country as well. He does offer an arrive alive guarantee that is pretty reasonable. It isn't as great as liveaquaria.com and places like that, but these are mostly farmed clams that you get to individually pick off the website. They have also been through a reasonable QT period. I agree Clams Direct isn't cheap, but their product is superior to that I have seen elsewhere.

I cannot recommend a local vendor of clams. I like a lot of our local sponsers, but clearly after the last clam wipeout incident clams should likely be bought from proven handlers that take precaution when selling them. Few companies do this and none local that I know of.

^^^ Good to know- thanks. Brandon, I'd be interested in going in on a group buy to lower the shipping costs. Just keep me posted, pls.

flinster;54729 wrote: I'll give you $50 for it.

No.

Cameron;54739 wrote: The Clams Direct guy is very stand up and is considered an expert on clams. He has given numerous presentations around the country as well. He does offer an arrive alive guarantee that is pretty reasonable. It isn't as great as liveaquaria.com and places like that, but these are mostly farmed clams that you get to individually pick off the website. They have also been through a reasonable QT period. I agree Clams Direct isn't cheap, but their product is superior to that I have seen elsewhere.

+1
Barry has a reputation that goes back years. I've talked with him seveal times on the phone. He's definately top notch. As for shipping, as the price tag is high, its a flat rate no matter how many clams you buy (ie, if you guys get a group together and buy 15clams, its still only $50) and he does an excellent job at packing!

So Tony how did you get such a wierd dollar amount on the gift certificate.

Is anyone championing the group buy for clams? Maybe we can tie Tony's gift certificate into the group buy?

I had a credit that I took as a gift certificate instead of a refund. I figured Id use it eventually but it doesn't look like any time soon so I figured Id try to liquidate it :)

I want to talk to Berry first before I try to fo any group buy on them. (see if we can get some personal selection or ideas on numbers) I have been meaning to do it for a while now but when he is on vacation I am home and when I am on vacation, he is home. But it is on my list to do when I get some time. Maybe this week, I will keep ya'll posted.

I have to agree with Tony and Cameron here, Berry is a stand up guy with one of the best products out there. He hand selects all of his clams, puts them through a QT, is an expert on pinched mantel and working on a cause and a cure... Great guy all around!

Brandon and Cam,

I'll definitely be in on group buy from them......I really want a clam...just one though...for now.....if you need help getting it going let me know......

Thanks.....

I'm not sure what is so interesting about clams... I had my urple blue maxima for over a year now and it havn't grown more than 1''. I don't really care too much for color as for size!!!! If you have 8''+ clams than count me in on the buy!

Clams grow in stable conditions! ;)

LOL, I am just giving you a hard time... Maximas are one of the slowest growers I think.

see I ma all about the colors...i want to try one the super colored clams....not sure i have the light for it though

Back