Best Local Stores or Online Stores that Quarantine or Copper Treat Fish

I try for about 5 weeks in qt. I'm not very experienced really, so I may not be doing that much really. But it makes me feel better 🙂.
I can definitely see myself pulling before 9 weeks for a fish showing no signs of illness after 4 weeks of copper treatment! Especially if we are talking about something like a tang whose primary enemy is ich

I can definitely see myself pulling before 9 weeks for a fish showing no signs of illness after 4 weeks of copper treatment! Especially if we are talking about something like a tang whose primary enemy is ich
I do a week of prazi, do a water change, and then do 30 days of copper. I wish it was faster but I look at it as part of the journey.

I've thought about doing a QT service. But the costs are just too much and if one dies in my QT who pays for the fish? I can tell you I wouldn't if you brought it to me, then that sets up an argument. Down the road when my life settles down, I will do some one off rare fish where I source, buy, and QT it for locals.

If the fish will eat frozen right away, then mix some with Focus, General Cure and a very little Epsom salt. That will deworm it, kill active Ich and a few other parasites. Now when you feed the fish can take up the most nutrients. From there move the fish to a clean sterile tank and either observe, move on to the Modified TTM or Copper. There are charts out there on R2R and Humblefish's site as to the type of copper you can use for the type of fish you're going to be QT'ing. Make sure you pay attention to those charts. Most fish do well with Copper Power and it doesn't have a big effect on appetite.

For fish that have been shipped to you, before starting with all of that, have Prime on hand and squirt a ml or two shot of it in the bag as soon as you open in. That will help greatly with ammonia burn. Also put an ammonia badge in the QT tank and look at it at least twice a day and have new saltwater mixed and ready at all times. If you use Cupramine you can't use Prime. So, the only way to reduce the ammonia is a water change. Having a Hanna copper checker will also help you make sure you're at therapeutic levels. No sense going through all that and not have the copper high enough to actually work.

Back