Best macro algae?

Ok and another question. Lol. Can you put hermits and stars and other inverts in a refugium? Also I know I asked this earlier but I don't believe it was answered. Can I keep rock in the fuge also? And small coral frags that I don't want to be blown around?

I do not keep Caulerpa any more and have not for the past few years of my reef keeping life. A good start to understanding the good and the bad about any Macroalgae would be to read the FAQ and published work here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marinvind1.htm">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marinvind1.htm</a>

Look about half way down the page for tha Macro section. The site is run by Bob Fenner and IMHO he knows his stuff.

As far as I understand, C. Prolifera, C. Racemosa (your grape stuff) and C. Mexicana turn the most sexual the fastest. (Racemosa is also one of the most toxic to corals) Light cycles should be kept at 24 hours a day to keep the algae in a stasis so it will not go sexual. (You can tell if it is turning sexual because it will loose it green color and part of the "plant" will turn white. It is also good to understand that Caulerpa are the largest single-celled organisms in the world. Yes, single celled, meaning if you cut the vine, the whole thing could bleed and be kind of toxic to your corals. On a happy note, C. Taxifolia would be my choice if I were to use Caulerpa

I can not speak from experience on any of this happening, I do know it happends a lot and that is why for the past few tanks I have decided to utilize other macros. I never mix types of macro either because it can turn into chemical warfare between the two. Just like other lifeforms in the ocean, macro algea knows when its turf is invaded and if the invader cause a drop in "food" levels, there could be war.

Like I said, I encourage people to read up on their own and decide what is best for their tanks.

BTW your red algae is most likely Rhodophyta of some sort. Take a look here: [IMG]http://www.wetwebmedia.com/redalgae.htm">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/redalgae.htm</a> to ID it.

Maroons: I would keep the corals out of the fuge for any length of time. Most people do not light thier fuge enough to have corals... Rock is perfectly fine, rubble is often used in the fuge because it has the best biological makeup. (Ask your LFS if you can have all the "rubble" that comes in their next LR shipment or take a piece that you have extra, add hammer and you have rubble!

Inverts are fine in your fuge but if you are growing pods for export into your tank, I would make sure they are not going to be eaten by the inverts you put in your fuge. A few snails never hurt anyone IMHO.

Same here. I have my lights on a timer for 12 hrs and I have had no issues. I also prune them once a month.

Mike,

Maroons15 wrote: Well Xyzpdq0121 thanks for the heads up. We wouldn't want that now would we. But wait. I used to have Macro in my ten gallon in the main tank. The lights went out every night and nothing happend..?

When I prune mine, I cut it where ever my cutters cut. I do not go through the step that Xyzpdq stated. Again I have not had any issues.

I could have sworn that the aspen tree's were the largest single celled organism in the world. Because they all are connected under ground.

Maroons15 wrote: I could have sworn that the aspen tree's were the largest single celled organism in the world. Because they all are connected under ground.

You're silly- trees aren't single-celled organisms! But I think I've heard that the Redwoods - maybe Sequoias - are the largest living thing on earth because they share the same root system. I've also heard the same thing about mushrooms (terrestrial type)

Well I herd this in a wilderness program in Utah. That the aspen were all connected underground so they were the largest single celled organisms. LOl i am silly. I know nothing

MAroon: you are right. an aspen colony in Colorado is the largest living thing on earth, one thing, but they are not one celled. Caulerpa is all one cell, hard to imagine but true. Glad you enjoyed the link, prob the single greates saltwater site on the net IMHO. I do not know if you know who Robert Fenner, Steven Pro, Anthony Calfo, etc.. are but from the books that are written by them and their research on all things saltwater, they are great people to get advice from, (And shoot an e-mail to if you have questions). WetWebMedia was a site started by them to educate the masses on anything that lives in the water.

I do not disagree that way back when, when I used to keep C. Prolifera, I never had any problem with cutting and a 12 hour light cycle. On the other hand, I only kept a small amount on a 40 Gallon tank. The only problem I had was it growing like kudzo and trying to set up in the main tank. I have seen it turn sexual in someone's 150G tank, watching what he had to go through is what started my research on the situation and helped me make up my mind on what I was going to keep in the future. There are risks to anything that we keep, should I mix this 6 line wrass knowing that it might eat my blue-legs, should I mix this BTA that I wank with my corals knowing that I could be in trouble in the future if all out war starts. These are risks that we decide to take in our systems. I think you can go anyway that you want as long as you know fully what the risks are and agree to take them. If you are going to keep Caulerpa, great, just make sure you know how to tell when it is going sexual and how to prevent it. Also make sure that you do not dump your cuttings down the drain in any way, the stuff can live in almost anything and take over a natural water system like Georgia has been taken over by Kudzo. That is why it is banned in several states and alot of countries.

Back