Best place for drilling resealing??

rjpotts

Reaction score
Title says it all. I've got a 36 corner bowfront that needs resealed and maybe drilled. Not sure if I'm gonna make it aio yet.
Anyways I'm a DIY kinda person but every time I touch silicone I develop Parkinson's. End result always looks like garbage.
Closer is better. I'm in auburn and would like to do this soon so I can move forward.
Doesn't have to be a company either, if someone thats good at this wants to volunteer I'd love to meet some reefers close to me. I'll pay or buy the adult beverages or whatever.
Sorry so long for such a simple question.
Thanks,
-R.J.

I would suggest just buying a new tank, I think the cost to resell it professionally might be higher.

Huh. I wouldn't have thought it was very expensive at all to have some new silicone laid down. I don't think the tank leaks or anything, just looked like it had been repaired (clear in places over the original black).
If that's the case I'll just do it myself, unless someone might still take the job.
The tank is already clean and scraped.

all of the inside silicone has to be removed. get fish safe silicone. let it sit a min. of 3 days to cure. 5 days is better. clear is easier but black LQQKs better.

depending on your plan of use will dictate where to drill. min is size of hole from end of glass and from hole to hole. depending on how thick the glass is you might want to add an extra piece of glass so when you put the bulkhead on there you want crack the glass.

only drill if not tempered or it will shatter just ask me or LQQK for "epic drilling fail"

GE Momentive series RTV103 for black and Momentive RTV108 for clear.

It is marked as fda approved to be in contact with food. also mcmaster carr is 15min from me an I go at least 1x a week. or shipping is about 8.00. I personnaly did not like the black as it flowed faster and was not as stiff as the clear.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rtv-sealants/=ho8qzs">http://www.mcmaster.com/#rtv-sealants/=ho8qzs</a>

GE108
10.1-oz. Cartridge
Translucent
7545A472

(102, 103, 108, and 109) Multipurpose—For sealing, bonding, and gasketing. Thick for use on vertical and overhead surfaces. Bond metal, plastic, ceramic, glass, silicone resin, vulcanized silicone rubber, and wood. Begin to harden in 20 minutes. Temperature range is -75° to +400° F. Meet MIL-A-46106B, Group I, Type I. FDA compliant and USDA approved. NSF 51 certified for use with food equipment. UL recognized

If you decide to tackle it yourself tape off the seams. It's the only way to get crisp clean lines. Just make sure you work quickly and pull the tape off before the silicone starts to skin over.

I've got all of the old silicone off. Scraped the glass and cleaned with rubbing alcohol.
I've got some GE silicone I. I understand it's aquarium safe.
I guess I could tape the edges to keep it from looking bad.
There is a sticker in the bottom of the tank saying that the bottom is tempered, so it would have to be drilled on the side.
Anyone had one resealed by a lfs? Curious what it costs now.
I've got an auto glass company that can drill it for me. But in case they get cold feet, what's that typically cost? Glass is 1/4" on sides.
Thanks again,
R.J.

i coming to athens tomorrow and can bring drill and hole saw but you can drill it as i don't want to be responsible for it. takes about 5 min +/- a hole. how far off 316 do you live?

Back