Best place for heater

I have two in the sumo but thinking of moving one to the overflow. It would hear the tank if the return pump failed.

I don't know the best place but i have mine in the overflow and the thermometer in the sump

rdnelson99;1013204 wrote: I have two in the sumo but thinking of moving one to the overflow. It would hear the tank if the return pump failed.

It would only heat the water in the overflow chamber....

nickg;1013225 wrote: It would only heat the water in the overflow chamber....

Some of the heat would migrate. Maybe not a lot but some. And, if I were aware of it I could move it easily to the tank. Main thing stopping me is I would want a second temp probe for the overflow as well.

In the winter I place one in the sump and one in the display. Remove the one in the display in summer.

I keep 2, one in the sumo and one in the overflow for redundancy and pump failure protection. With that both the tank and the sump have temp probes to ensure a pump failure does not result in either frozen or cooked fish.

I was concerned with the amount of water circulation in the over flows but I dose in mine so when I pore my part 2 reef fusion in the system its white so I can see the flow. Seems pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have mine in my fuge, but usually put them in the return section of the sump.

Overflow works too if you dont have room in your sump.

It really doesnt matter as long as its in an area with good flow.

I think I'm outnumbered, but mine is in the overflow with the probe in the sump and the temp stays within .7 degrees. I wish i had room in the sump for the heater do not.

kevinathom;1013510 wrote: I think I'm outnumbered, but mine is in the overflow with the probe in the sump and the temp stays within .7 degrees. I wish i had room in the sump for the heater do not.

Bad combo if running with a controller.

kevinathom;1013510 wrote: I think I'm outnumbered, but mine is in the overflow with the probe in the sump and the temp stays within .7 degrees. I wish i had room in the sump for the heater do not.
If your return fails your tank runs the risk of roasting because the sump is cooling off slowly. Might want to move the probe to the tank.

I keep one in my overflow box and one in my sump, this way when i stop the flow for water changes ect theres still a heater with the display tank. Its hidden away just as well as the sump but leaves me a little bit more room down underneath. Only bad thing about sump placement is if you drain the sump during wcs but that aside sump is probably the best place so long as you remember to cut it off during wc.

Back