Best Ro/di

purpleGORILLA;150160 wrote: Well from my understand of what you just said, you dont' really need the ro to be the same GPD as the first one..Just as long as you have one in a series that can handle the pressure. THat is if you are trying to get a 1:1 ratio..However wouldn't it be better to get a higher GPD ro as you gradually add it in the series?

I'm not sure i understand the question.

The resistor cause the pressure. Different GPD membranes use different resistors. So if you use different membranes with one resistor you will have different flush ratios in each membrane, one may be 4:1 the next 6:1 then the next 2:1 . Using the same membrane they each have the same flush ratio. 4 to 1 or in the case of my new lower waste adjustment 3.3: 1

I have a Well and I don't have pressure like that, I'm lucky to get 34psi... and like most wells, if I run the water continuously for a long period of time it gets lower and lower... With a system the size I am building I need to be able to produce some water, but more importantly I don't want to waste any water. So if I get this right... 3 membranes are good... would 4 or 5 be better??? also, what booster bump would I need??? 8800?

Thanks

Harleyguy;150184 wrote: I have a Well and I don't have pressure like that, I'm lucky to get 34psi... and like most wells, if I run the water continuously for a long period of time it gets lower and lower... With a system the size I am building I need to be able to produce some water, but more importantly I don't want to waste any water. So if I get this right... 3 membranes are good... would 4 or 5 be better??? also, what booster bump would I need??? 8800?

Thanks
Yes you will need a booster pump. 8800 is fine.
I charted the saving base on a 2 membrane unit adjusted to 1:1 like The Filter Guys made. You would get diminish returns with 4,5..., even 3 may be over kill.

A 2 membranes unit getting 1:1 will save you 10,800 gallons a year. If you use 300 gallons a month. Adding a 3rd membrane to get 1:0.5 will only save you an additional 3600. a fourth about 800 and so on...</em>So it depend on how much water you use and what in your water...</em>

Yearly dollar $aving on water of a 1:1 vs a 4:1 (at 300 a month made)
$89 if you are on sewer
<span style="color: black;">$40 if you’re on septic</span>
<span style="color: black;">$0 if your on a well. </span>

<span style="color: black;">It takes 1500 gallons to make 300 for normal RODI. The WS RODI uses 600 gallons to make 300 ) </span></em>
If you used 6000 gallon pre filters, you would go from changing 1 set every 4 months too 1 set a year. Save another $20 or so.

So, the 1:0.5 thing.. let me get this straight... for every 100 gallons produced you have 50 gallons of waste water? and what is your final TDS after both RO and DI (end water TDS result)?

My concern here is bogging down my well, like we did when we filled our kids little swimming pool... (little in that is was most likely 2000 gallons).

And would you mind making this "stupid proof" for me and give me a list of everything to purchase...(please :D)

I was checking out some RO/DI units on the web and found this at SpectraPure:

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Our NEW UHE MaxCapâ„¢ (Ultra-High Efficiency 5-Stage) system has been designed to conserve one of our most precious resources... water. We have miniaturized the technology used in our commercial PSP systems to achieve an incredible 1/1 (or better) ratio in a Micro-Processor controlled system small enough to fit under your sink! The new UHE MaxCapâ„¢ also uses our field proven MaxCapâ„¢ technology to produce Ultra-Pure DI water at half the cost of other systems.</span></span>
<ul>
<li><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">MICROPROCESSOR UHE CONTROL MODULE:
- Ultra-High Efficiency Module - Low Waste system (1:1 or better).
- Integral Boost Pump: Operates even in low supply pressure problem areas.
- Automatic Periodic Pure Water Membrane Flush!
- Membranes last longer! No more TDS Creep! </span></span></li>
</ul><ul>
<li><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">HIGHEST EFFICIENCY PRE-FILTRATION AVAILABLE:
- Our best 0.2 Micron (Absolute) Zeta-Zorb Sediment Filter. 5X more dirt holding capacity than a 0.5 Micron Filter!
- Our best 0.5 Micron high capacity Chloramine removal Carbon Block Filter. (20,000 Gallon Chlorine Removal!)
- Pre-Filters last 2x-3x longer in the UHE system as less waste=less water thru pre filters=longer life=more money saved! </span></span></li>
</ul><ul>
<li><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">BEST OF THE BEST RO MEMBRANE:
- Highest quality DOW Filmtech Membrane
- 100 Gallons Per Day (or more!) with High Rejection, long life! </span></span></li>
</ul><ul>
<li><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">ULTRA CAPACITY DUAL STAGE DI:
- MaxCapâ„¢ DI has 3.5 times more capacity than a typical mixed bed DI cartridge. Cuts DI water production costs in half!
- SpectraPure’s Silica-Buster™ DI maximizes silica & phosphate removal. </span></span></li>
</ul><ul>
<li><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">ACCESSORIES INCLUDED WITH SYSTEM:
- (2) In-Line Dual TDS meters: Accurately monitor filter changes. No more guessing when to change DI.
- Liquid Filled Pressure Gauge: Monitors Pre-Filter changes.
- Filter Wrench: Helps remove Housing Canisters.
- Dual Electric Float Switches: Automates system to fill an atmospheric storage tank of any size. </span></span></li>
</ul><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<p style="text-align:center;"><div style="text-align: center;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">This 100 GPD RO/DI System combines our innovative UHEâ„¢ 1/1 Technology with our MaxCapâ„¢ Technology to create a water processing system that produces Ultra-Pure water while reducing water consumption and waste by four to ten times over other systems. Produce 100 gallons per day without compromising membrane life or system reliability! </span></span></div>

And it can be your for only $899 + shipping

So is this thig really that good?

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> UHE MaxCap&#8482; (Ultra-High Efficiency 5-Stage) </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">That is a great RODI but IMO It would be hard to recoup the cost of it unless your tap is 600ppm TDS plus and you used lots & lots of water. </span></span><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I like and use thier 0.2 absolute micron zata zorb & 20,000 carbon block prefilters. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>

Harleyguy;150257 wrote: So, the 1:0.5 thing.. let me get this straight... for every 100 gallons produced you have 50 gallons of waste water? and what is your final TDS after both RO and DI (end water TDS result)?

DI can/will make any water have 0ppm TDS

My concern here is bogging down my well, like we did when we filled our kids little swimming pool... (little in that is was most likely 2000 gallons).

And would you mind making this "stupid proof" for me and give me a list of everything to purchase...(please :D)
The Water Saver RODI from The Filter Guys will comes ready to go. They can also add a third membrane if you want.

Bleedingthought;150226 wrote: I will be using 200-300 gallons per month once the new system is up. Should I just go ahead a do a 3 membrane system or will 2 be enough (comparably)? I don't mind the extra start up cost.
Two would be fine. I did 3 because i use about 800-1000 gallons per month. also i wanted to test the idea more throughly than i could with just 2 membranes

Good Info. So If I add two membranes to my Typhoon ReefKeeper 3 I have now from Air,water & Ice. What else would I need to get besides the two 75gpd membranes and housings?

Could I change out my original 75 gpd membrane($39.95) to a 150gpd(49.95) and add one more and use two membranes instead of three? That would save a little cost. Which would be better?

2 membrane unit parts list (adding to an existing RODI, using good 98%rejection, TFC membranes)
To add one membrane and get 1:1 ratio you need (which is great for most people)

1 membrane (the same GPD as the first)
1 membrane housing (and the 3 fittings for it)
1 adjustable resistor/restrictor (needle control valve)
1 tee (to tie the pure water line together)
1 piece of 1/4 RO tubing 2 feet long
1 set of MEMBRANE MOUNTING CLIPS FOR ADDING SECOND MEMBRANE HOUSING

3 membrane unit parts list
To get 1:0.5

2 membranes (the same GPD as the first) TFC
2 membrane housing (and the 3 fittings for each, 6 total)
1 adjustable resistor/restrictor (needle control valve)
2 tee (to tie the pure water line together)
1 piece of 1/4 RO tubing 4 feet long
2 set of MEMBRANE MOUNTING CLIPS FOR ADDING SECOND MEMBRANE HOUSING

Same as The filter guys kit
a>

Id also use a Zeta Zorb absolute 0.2 micron prefiter. and a 20,000 chlorine guzzler carbon block as prefilters
http://www.spectrapure.com/St_replac_p1.htm">http://www.spectrapure.com/St_replac_p1.htm</a>
It will protect you membranes MUCH better than nominal 1 micron sediment filter will. I have a 1 micron before my 0.2 micron absolute you'd be surprised to see whats gets by the 1 micron sed filter.

Back