Best salinity tester?

Edwards.mason

Supporting
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my salinity tester, and I am having a hard time deciding on one. Does anybody have recommendations?

Thanks!

I like this because you can easily read it down to 4 decimal places. No calibration needed either. Downside is it does not correct for temperature but as long as you are ~77 degrees it is good.

I like this because you can easily read it down to 4 decimal places. No calibration needed either. Downside is it does not correct for temperature but as long as you are ~77 degrees it is good.

^^^ this one right here. always on point!!!

how fragile is it?

While glass hydrometers cant be calibrated I suggest always checking it against a known measurement to verify its spot on. I have found some to be off meaning the paper in the glass has some variance.

I use a Vee Gee and love it. But I also use the Hanna Digital Salinity tester and that's what I use 90% of the time. I make sure it's calibrated regularly and it's just so simple. One thing to note - my Hanna checker (even freshly calibrated) tends to read a bit low. I like to keep my salinity at 1.025 and with the Hanna checker it'll read 1.0123. Just double check it against a good, known source and you're good-to-go. If you do buy one, you'll use it nearly all the time.

it's bulky and glass. so it's fragile but i find it on point and doesn't need calibration.
What container are you using to measure salinity for the TM hydrometer? I'm having trouble finding a container tall enough

Hanna salt and temp probe. This is accurate and easy and also acts as a good baseline for calibrating temp sensors.

Ive used literally everything available at some time or another. Best for accuracy is the digital optical ones, refractometers are second best.

The floaty ones are great but a PINA to use correctly. You have to make sure no bubbles are on it, the water has to be perfectly still and you have to learn how to read to line correctly.

Hanna one, you just dunk and swirl for 3-4 seconds and youre done.

Oh I forgot to mention refractometers need to be temperature compensating ones or you will have to adjust it every time you use it. And the floaty ones do not have temp compensation.

Back