best sea salt

I can't say if any are "best." But I started out with Salinity when it came out. I have had great luck with it and it's readily available. I used other before it came out. Had fine luck then as well. But Salinity has worked for SEVERAL years.

I use Reef Crystals, but have dabbled with the Red Sea Coral Pro salt, and my tank was very happy with both.

Instant Ocean tried and tested for years. I listen to Randy Holmes Farley when it comes to the trade and he swears by the stuff. For the cost nothing compares.

Sidvicious;1090437 wrote: Instant Ocean tried and tested for years. I listen to Randy Holmes Farley when it comes to the trade and he swears by the stuff. For the cost nothing compares.

He also doses magnesium to his instant ocean along with a couple other things. So to be fair he doesn't only use instant ocean.

Quote from Randy:

"I do not think there is a "best" salt mix. Nearly all of them will work fine as long as you know their pros and cons.

I personally prefer Instant Ocean, and this is why:

I don't want excessive borate, which leaves out Seachem.

I don't want vitamins or anything else organic in my mix, so that tosses out some like Reef Crystals, hW Marinemix Plus BioElements, Kent, Coralife, and Nutri-SeaWater.

I don't want excessive calcium (long term use of limewater as I use drives up calcium, so I do not want it starting high), so that tosses out a bunch, such as Kent, Seachem, Coralife and Oceanic.

There are certain companies that I will not support due to their misleading claims and/or product lines. That tosses out a few which I won't detail here since it is my personal thought as opposed to a specific issue with their salt mix.

I won't use certain lines of natural seawater due to excessive metals in it.

That only leaves a few to choose from, such as Instant Ocean and Tropic Marin Pro. The remaining ones might all be fine for me, but IO is lower in cost, especially if you get it when it goes on sale (which it frequently does)."

I have read that in the past but he does also dose the instant ocean to raise other values during water changes.

Salinity because its only 1/2 cup of salt per gallon. Last time I purchased a bucket it was cheaper for the volume of water I get with Salinity than than cheaper salts.

Rodasphoto;1090507 wrote: Salinity because its only 1/2 cup of salt per gallon. Last time I purchased a bucket it was cheaper for the volume of water I get with Salinity than than cheaper salts.
Hmm. What are you paying for salinity? Last time I checked it was twice as much as instant ocean.

LOL, If you got a tank full of nothing but SPS coral. And don't have a Cal reactor or do not dose anything. I would like the know what salt you are using with doing a WC every two weeks. Sorry not happening. Most of us dose.
Thats why i use IO , because I'm dosing anyway. Sure, might not have to dose as much. But the cost is more effective using IO. Whether I dose or not, its still IO.

I would be interested in seeing a parameter comparison of all the salts. Let's say each salt mix it mixed up. Each one uses a gallon of water for testing so it can be a control . I would like to see what is Actually in the salt. Test for everything..phates, calcium, metals, nutrients ,etc ... etc.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

showthread.php

barry_keith;1090737 wrote: S'all been done. Check the larger sites, R2R and RC

I knew it would of had to have been done... probably multiple times over.

Back