Best way to light a 300 DD

tonymission

Market
Reaction score
Friend of mine has a 300dd he's giving me as a house warming gift when I move. I have the perfect wall for it against the "frag room" wall in the basement so I'm not worried about the added maintenance.

Was first thinking just going FOWLR with as many Achilles tangs as I could, but realistically I know I'm going to be adding sticks to it.

How the heck should I light this thing? I'm on the T5 bandwagon but between this tank and all my frags I'm not sure I want to deal with that many bulbs. Really have no idea and looking for thoughts...

Take is 72" long 36" front to back and 27" high

DawgFace;1019094 wrote: 2 x 1000w MH with LED/VHO/T5 would be my preference.

I think there are two cross supports chopping the tank into thirds. Where would you hang them?

id go with 6 radion pros and possibly t5 supplementation. you could probably get away with 3 since according to the specs 3 would cover that tank but i would run 6 and keep them at a lower intensity.

are the cross supports clear? if so 4 would be perfect with a couple t5 bulbs flanking each side of them.

With regards to the 1000 watters. Hang evenly with the big boy 22" Luminarc reflectors and you'll light it up better than Griswold. That I can promise.

I would however try to get in touch with someone that is currently running them as sometime shortly after I broke down the tank I ran them on the preferred bulb all of us used stopped being produced. Think it was Helix...

Don't be fooled into buying Radiums. Either the bulb suck in general at 1000w or theres not a balast out there that fires them correctly.

Ideally Id like to use 2x1000w halides but I now use 3x400w radiums along with 4x39W T5 daylights and 4x39w T5 actinics(soon to be replaced with LED actinics) and I cant complain at all. Love the light.

I wish I had ordered mine with a eurobrace but whats done is done.

showthread.php

Bassett22;1019118 wrote: Not sure why everyone is suggesting 2 lights over a 6 foot tank. I would go with 3 x 250watt. With led actinic suppliments, rapid led.com makes some great diy led kits for actinic strips. I believe they have 6' versions, but you could go with 3 2 footers or even 6 1' and have 3 infront of the mh's and 3 behind.

I have the 250DD, and i run 2 250w halides and they barely spread ebough to light my tank. Your definitly gonna need 3 across yours.

Simple... 1000w MH are 4 times the wattage than 250 that you suggesting. Additionally "spread" is greater determined by the reflector not the wattage. Like I said before, I previously ran (4) 400w MH over my 450 gallon which didnt have the punch nor look I was after. Switched to a bigger reflector (luminarc) as well as upgraded to (2) 1000w and we were good to go. With LED supplementing actinic of course.

Bassett22;1019142 wrote: :up: thats what you need!

What I need is a friend that will give me a 300dd for a gift. Nice grab. I'm sure you can pus many many colored sticks in there.

Bassett22;1019141 wrote: I understand the concept that 1000 watts are 4 times 250, you really didnt have to state that.

Now as to "spread", what reflector on the market claims it will spread light 3 feet, and how high over the water does the reflector need to be to achieve this? ESPECIALLY considering the 300DD is divided into 3 segments on the top by 2 cross braces spaced 2 feet apart each... I dont know how deep your 450 is, but there is no need to jam 1000 watts of light on a tank thats 27" deep, you could grow acros in your sump with that much light. Your heat, evaporation, and power will is gonna really hurt. If your looking for a specific color, then swap bulbs, and play with balasts, nut 1000 watts is nuts

Bassett, I really don't mean to sound like a *** here but I really don't know any other way to put it so please forgive me.

Having said that, your lack of understanding the concept of reflectors is astounding and embarrassing.

On to your question, "what reflector makes claim to spread". While I have no reference to their claim. My, OZ and Dave (arcoholic) all ran these on 36" depth tanks. The spread was that and more. These reflectors are Luminarc 22".

Wirh that you see these reflectors being 22" allowed a great amount of spread. Running a 250w bulb with this reflectors would have trouble reaching 18" but when powered with 1000 watters they easily punch the depth to the sand as well as over 4 ft. Doubt it, look through the build threads... especially OZ and Daves tank. Cant argue success like theirs.

Now porpoiseaquatics reflectors are more geared towards focus and less spread. Allowing the use on smaller tanks and smaller wattage bulbs. 1000w bulbs if they would even fit would be asinine to even attempt. Likely burn a hole through the tank.... sarcasm obviously.

So you see not all reflectors are created equally. Just as important is each reflector must be appropriately sized for tank, reflector and bulb collectively as they all compliment each other.

DawgFace;1019147 wrote: Bassett, I really don't mean to sound like a *** here but I really don't know any other way to put it so please forgive me.

Having said that, your lack of understanding the concept of reflectors is astounding and embarrassing.

On to your question, "what reflector makes claim to spread". While I have no reference to their claim. My, OZ and Dave (arcoholic) all ran these on 36" depth tanks. The spread was that and more. These reflectors are Luminarc 22".

Wirh that you see these reflectors being 22" allowed a great amount of spread. Running a 250w bulb with this reflectors would have trouble reaching 18" but when powered with 1000 watters they easily punch the depth to the sand as well as over 4 ft. Doubt it, look through the build threads... especially OZ and Daves tank. Cant argue success like theirs.

Now porpoiseaquatics reflectors are more geared towards focus and less spread. Allowing the use on smaller tanks and smaller wattage bulbs. 1000w bulbs if they would even fit would be asinine to even attempt. Likely burn a hole through the tank.... sarcasm obviously.

So you see not all reflectors are created equally. Just as important is each reflector must be appropriately sized for tank, reflector and bulb collectively as they all compliment each other.

Couldn't have said it better myself. There is a direct relationship between the ballast and bulb and another between the bulb and the reflector. Both must be taken into account when sizing for a tank. Not all reflectors are created equal the same as all ballasts are not equal.

3 400w Radiums on lumen bright minis, supplemented with 4-6 t5's and two reefbrites or bml strips. 1000w Radiums are very dim and a drab blue(no pop) for some reason. This is from first hand experience. Happy Hunting.

The reflectors that Jeff has listed (if they are the large ones) are 20"x20" reflectors.

Bassett22;1019150 wrote: Gotta say, your doing a pretty poor job as not sounding like an a hole. I understand if you run a 250 watt bulb on the luminarc it wont have the punch of a 1000 watt.. Im just saying take the shape of the tank into consideration, its just as easy to hang 3 smaller reflectors, with lower wattage bulbs, center them over the open areas of the tank, and not spend so **** much money on 2000 watts of light as apposed to 750. Can you not grasp my point? Im not saying your lights wont work, Im just giving a DIFFERENT OPINION on how to light it that might be better for this person. :up:

I know, but look at it from my point of view. I'll put yours in quotes and my responses in red, explanation to my frustration in black normal text and font. Hope that makes sense.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

<span style="font-size: 12px">
Not sure why everyone is suggesting 2 lights over a 6 foot tank.

<span style="color: Red">1000w MH are 4 times the wattage than 250 that you suggesting. Additionally "spread" is greater determined by the reflector not the wattage. Like I said before, I previously ran (4) 400w MH over my 450 gallon which didnt have the punch nor look I was after. Switched to a bigger reflector (luminarc) as well as upgraded to (2) 1000w and we were good to go.</span></span>

You took this as being somewhat of a smart *** comment which it wasn't by design. However since the correlation of that bulb and reflector is dependant on one another it was necessary as you didn't and really still don't understand... but at this point it's all good. Then next...

I understand the concept that 1000 watts are 4 times 250, you really didnt have to state that. Now as to "spread", what reflector on the market claims it will spread light 3 feet

ESPECIALLY considering the 300DD is divided into 3 segments on the top by 2 cross braces spaced 2 feet apart each... I dont know how deep your 450 is, but there is no need to jam 1000 watts of light on a tank thats 27" deep, you could grow acros in your sump with that much light. Your heat, evaporation, and power will is gonna really hurt. If your looking for a specific color, then swap bulbs, and play with balasts, nut 1000 watts is nuts

I segmented this as this is where I begin to be an arse...

First I've already told you what reflect and bulb combination does this.... no big deal.

But then the second part your injecting "ESPECIALLY" and "there's no need" into the mix. Clearly based on zero experience on your part. Of which is evident based on your answers leading here.

Additionally, aside from steering the wrong direction and still injecting "deep" into a conversation that revolves around a reflector that spreads (not sure how many more times I need to touch on that one). If you remember correctly this discussion came in steps that I've never said yours was wrong just defended mine as well as answering or responding to false information relayed by you.

Again I don't meant to be an ***. I think if you took the time to research MH reflectors you'll see what I'm trying to relay and understand some of my comments to be just plain answers and nothing more.

Last, and to just officially put an opinion to (3) 250w. No way is that enough light for a dominate SPS tank unless all corals are packed together directly under. Spotting would be prevalent as well.

Here's OZ's tank. He ran his lights(2) 1000 watt lights 18" I believe off the waters surface. Definitely no more than 2'. As you can see the acros are still nearly jumping out of the tank to get more. With regards to SPS, Acros in particular in which Tony focuses on. They can not have too much MH or T5... Atleast that I've seen.

watch

Here's an Advanced Aquarist write up concerning reflectors.

Tony, this is where you'll want to pay close attention or you'll be buying multiple times.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/review">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/review</a>

OZ's build thread- Important since it shows him going from (3) 400 watt MH to the (2) 1000w. Included is the why, not the pictures unfortunately anymore. Also take note that when the video was shot he was running Radiums which later switched to Helix and showed us all how terrible the Radiums were or atleast the potential of the 1000w under a different bulb.

[IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35456">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35456</a>

To wrap it officially up, you don't need 1000w bulbs on that tank. That was just my preference. If they are turning you off, I understand. They are hot as Hades and expensive since your likely forced to buy all new. So if not them then, (3) 400w is almost enough, (4) using the Lumenbrite or lumenarc reflectors being nearly perfect to my preference (<u>[B]IMO[/B]</u>)

Back