Best way to light a 300 DD

porpoiseaquatics;1019187 wrote: I believe they are and will take up to a 400w bulb.

Yup, 4 of those on a 300dd would be sexy! Jorge at Pure Reef Runs that on his Reef, albeit proportionally sized up with (5 or 6) I believe.

Plus Jeff has them at a great deal.

I should also add that I use custom made 20"x30" luminarc style reflectors with my halides.

The 36" width on a peninsula tank makes lighting difficult otherwise.

If I had a standard up against the wall tank regular reflectors would be fine with the T5's adding light to the front area.

Sorry guys been really busy today,but appreciate all the chatter. I've read and considered it all.

Im in love with Achilles tangs and never been able to have one. My wife loves puffers and angels and really wants me to go FOWLR with this tank for lower maintenance and then have my dream shallow reef savvy tank built for the living room. I plan to go ATI powermodule hybrid on that tank.
Don't think there's anyway I could put this upstairs and my wife hates the traditional stands.

I would probably still try some mature sticks in a FOWLR and take my chances. The idea would be to create three separate islands with a ton of swim room.

Either way, I'd want it to look great and don't want to buy some cheaper light to later give up on the FOWLR idea and then not be able to grow corals.

I'd lean towards the 3x 400w MH because those cross supports will create awkward shadowing with only two light sources.

Still don't have a clear path here... Paralysis by analysis.

wildernet;1019145 wrote: What I need is a friend that will give me a 300dd for a gift. Nice grab. I'm sure you can pus many many colored sticks in there.

He's a good friend for sure, but I've done well for him so didn't even bother with the obligatory "oh, I really couldn't take the tank..." Lol

I just said: "Oh. Wow. Thanks!!"

tonymission;1019264 wrote: Sorry guys been really busy today,but appreciate all the chatter. I've read and considered it all.

Im in love with Achilles tangs and never been able to have one. My wife loves puffers and angels and really wants me to go FOWLR with this tank for lower maintenance and then have my dream shallow reef savvy tank built for the living room. I plan to go ATI powermodule hybrid on that tank.
Don't think there's anyway I could put this upstairs and my wife hates the traditional stands.

I would probably still try some mature sticks in a FOWLR and take my chances. The idea would be to create three separate islands with a ton of swim room.

Either way, I'd want it to look great and don't want to buy some cheaper light to later give up on the FOWLR idea and then not be able to grow corals.

I'd lean towards the 3x 400w MH because those cross supports will create awkward shadowing with only two light sources.

Still don't have a clear path here... Paralysis by analysis.

Just let me know when you're ready.....I've got these Lumen Brights over here with your name all over them!! :thumbs:

I think spread is the biggest challenge that's why islands almost have to be the best option here... the front to back depth changes everything or I would never ask you guys what to use! Haha... Throw $4k at it sure but that's not in my plan.

I want it very open and economics will factor in here. Buying a big (for me) new house and having some wifey upgrades to do ... And I had already planned on having a tank built for the living room and now this is yet another tank expense...

Too good an opportunity to pass up tho. Always been in love with the DD tanks!

Bassett22;1019296 wrote: Tony, are leds somethinh youd be interestdd in? You could get 3 of the reef breeder fixtures for a decent price, but the cost would save you in the long run in bulbs and power costs.

And just have them run the long way front to back? Would 36" fit in canopy? I have a 24" value over my 40b with a few frags. A couple are doing well but Dino problem in there. Really don't get a ton of par on an 18" tank tho... Is that because it's a value? Always thought you just didn't get the programmability.

Bassett22;1019276 wrote: So your issue was personal preference of look. Your opinion, it didnt look how you wished so you upgraded to larger light and reflector, its a VERY simple concept which I understand just fine, please stop saying I dont understand the correlation for some reason. I get it! Are you one of the guys that think there is only one proper way to have a reef tank? and its your way? Do you not grasp the idea that there are many many ways to reach a similar goal?

Again, you assume I dont understand when Im simply giving a different opinion on what do to that will save this member money.

I didnt catch that post initially where you specified the reflectors. Thats why I asked, I was attempting to learn, and you responded as a prick. You didnt answer my question either about how high this reflector needs to be mounted to acheive a solid 36" square of light. This is very important if the member wants to mount these in a canopy dont you think?

You're absolutely right... I have no experience, I have no evidence based on the fact that Ive been a member of this forum for nearly 10 years, and am currently keeping a 250 gallon Deep dimension tank lit with 2 250watt XMs on luminbrite mini reflectors, your right though I do get a bit of spot ligthing, but it still grows what ever the hell I want on the sand in the slightly shaded areas of the tank, I can raise the reflectors a few inches to get rid of the spot lights, or if I had a 6 foot tank, Id add another light in the center and the would be even dispersed lighting 2 foot square each. ITS A DIFFERENT SUGGESTION FROM YOURS, IT DOENST MAKE ME WRONG OR INEXPERIENCED. Yes you can link members tanks all day that use the same reflectors you suggest. Dave has very little to worry about in terms of energy consumption, Ive never met OZ, but Im sure he probably can make ends meet fine, some of us might want a cheaper and more energy efficient method, it makes a diffence to some people.

what did I say that is steering the wrong direction or mis information?

As for injecting "deep" into the discussion, althought the reflector will "spread the light" the 1000watt bulb will still lighting the tank without ever toughing a reflector and its insanely strong for a reef. Hell I could see 400watts working fine, still over kill in my OPINION. but 1000w?

Stop assuming I havent done some reading, and dont understand what your saying. for a question like this, there are no "answers" there are opinions. Yours is different then mine, and Im find with that. You however seem to have a problem with it.

Did I miss him saying he is building a full sps dominant reef? I read the thread twice... I dont see it.
As for your "250 wont work" as I just said, Its exactly what Im running. and its doing great for all my SPS, but I do have 2 islands that the lights are focused on, and most of the high light demand corals are centered around those spots. but Im also lighting 30" x 36" squares. OP said he would like to build 3 islands. which would be perfect for the exact thing Im speaking of. Thats why I asked him what his goals and budget are, to give him suggestions that match his needs.

Do you have any further issues with my posts? please feel free to address how Im still wrong. let me know if you need help quoting text in this format so its easier to read, Id be happy to help. :thumbs:

Ok well just pretend and forget you ever said anything that contradicts essentially everything your saying here...

I'll scratch from memory all that and allow the carrying on of attempting to rewrite history of your words 3 or so posts back. But I digress I'm done having circle conversations.

Tony, I still have my 1000w setup. I'm keeping them until that gnarly beast is officially out of my house.... Just in case I feel the urge and attempt to set it up again I don't want to rebut everything.

Tony par readings on the rb value are very difficult to get without a spectrum analyzer. they are the same bulbs in those units as the photons, just without the digital dimmers. Gary had 8 mm leds on his 300dd which did great for sps. I think he has since upgraded to ocean revives but none the less still led. I don't have sticks growing out of the top of my tank, but I think most would agree I have great color in my sticks with using mh and leds. When you get back to this side of town give me a shout and I'll give you the tour. I think you'll like the aquascape as well. It's kinda my thing ;)

Tony,

There are so many opinions on this thread. I'm sure you are confused by now. Would you just give me that 300DD tank and close this thread? No headache for you. No more argument on ARC. Nobody gets mad at anybody. Everyone will be happy again. Just do it once and for all, would you?

demifelix;1019408 wrote: Tony,

There are so many opinions on this thread. I'm sure you are confused by now. Would you just give me that 300DD tank and close this thread? No headache for you. No more argument on ARC. Nobody gets mad at anybody. Everyone will be happy again. Just do it once and for all, would you?

I like the way you think! ;)

DawgFace;1019147 wrote: Bassett, I really don't mean to sound like a *** here but I really don't know any other way to put it so please forgive me.

Having said that, your lack of understanding the concept of reflectors is astounding and embarrassing.

On to your question, "what reflector makes claim to spread". While I have no reference to their claim. My, OZ and Dave (arcoholic) all ran these on 36" depth tanks. The spread was that and more. These reflectors are Luminarc 22".

Wirh that you see these reflectors being 22" allowed a great amount of spread. Running a 250w bulb with this reflectors would have trouble reaching 18" but when powered with 1000 watters they easily punch the depth to the sand as well as over 4 ft. Doubt it, look through the build threads... especially OZ and Daves tank. Cant argue success like theirs.

Now porpoiseaquatics reflectors are more geared towards focus and less spread. Allowing the use on smaller tanks and smaller wattage bulbs. 1000w bulbs if they would even fit would be asinine to even attempt. Likely burn a hole through the tank.... sarcasm obviously.

So you see not all reflectors are created equally. Just as important is each reflector must be appropriately sized for tank, reflector and bulb collectively as they all compliment each other.

XL Lumenmax 22" reflectors and 2x1000W Helios 20ks. 32" H and 48" depth for my old tank (now the display tank in The Fish Store also lit by 2x1000W lamps. I don't believe Sunlight Supply makes these reflectors anymore.

I can't find the Helios 20ks anymore which sucks because they were the best by far.

I can say Radium 1000W 20k's are ok IF you use the right ballast. I'm running three of them now with Galaxy Turbo ballasts on my 1000G (11' x 5' x 32"). Par and color equal the Helios and my jury is out if the actual spectrum for SPS is the same or close. Only time will tell via SPS growth and coloration.

Back