Best way to pack on weight for a fish

indecloudzua

Market
Reaction score
Hey.

Got an achilles tang from Liveaquaria in yesterday. Its currently in QT but is pretty skinny so im treating with prazipro at the moment. Anyone have some tips on fattening him up after treatment??

Feed a variety of quality food. That works for every fish. Fat fish are not necessarily a healthy fish 🐟, I recommend feeding a frozen variety of food, nothing specific. Good luck

Thanks. I use a variety from hakiri(brine,mysis, and others) and lrs reef frenzy with selcon and some nori.

The path he rode from the sea to your house included no food. Feed him nori (algae sheets) mostly 3-5 times a day and algae wafers also. He should begin feeding on it right away. If he doesn't, try frozen brine/mysis with viramins added, and if that doesn't work, live brine. Feed the live brine before feeding to tang. Juveniles do not react well to changes in their environment, which includes your tanks water flow and hiding areas. Many Achilles love string water current, and a few will not. They frequent fast moving water in the sea. Good luck! Please pm or call with any questions.

The path he rode from the sea to your house included no food. Feed him nori (algae sheets) mostly 3-5 times a day and algae wafers also. He should begin feeding on it right away. If he doesn’t, try frozen brine/mysis with viramins added, and if that doesn’t work, live brine. Feed the live brine before feeding to tang. Juveniles do not react well to changes in their environment, which includes your tanks water flow and hiding areas. Many Achilles love string water current, and a few will not. They frequent fast moving water in the sea. Good luck! Please pm or call with any questions.
Great advice!

I got an achilles from LA also roughly 3-6 mo. ago i'd say.  It's healthy but still a little underweight i'd say.  I haven't had much luck getting him to eat much other than frozen meaty foods (rods/mysis).  He doesn't seem to like nori and just nibbles on the algae in the tank with the other tangs.  Doesn't eat flake either which pretty much all of my fish do now after so long and seeing others eat it.

Thanks for the replies..he's been gaining some weight and is tearing up nori and nibbling at some mysis(w/selcon). I think he will make it and will live a long life in my tank, i hope..

Do yourself a favor and call liveaquaria right away! They can extend the warranty and will have a record of your call. I’ve gotten a few skinny fish from them and unfortunately they never gained weight after months of eating like pigs and eventually died. Most recent skinny fish I got from them wat a trio of bellus angels that had flukes and wiped out my tank. I’m done with that company.

Not to be a downer, just my recent experience with them. Stupid me though for not quarantining them with Prazi as you are.

Good luck. I hope your tang does well.

he's doing well so far Greg and is packing on weight..He will be making the transition to the DT in the next two weeks if he continues to look healthy and salinity gets adjusted to DT from the hyposalinity he was in.

Frozen mysis thawed in a cup with some selcon. This will fatten him up, but he needs some algae/nogi in his diet. Soak in a little garlic and place a sheet low in the tank if it's shy.

Back