Bicolor hammer growth differences between my frag tank and display

Cook

President
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I have found this interesting. The water quality parameters are very similar between my display and RS 170, however my growth and coloration results with these bicolor hammers are not. The frag tank has been setup for less time than my display so there could be some other difference at play here, but I suspect lighting.

I moved all of my bicolor hammer frags to the frag tank which is lit with a Mitras LX 7206 two months ago. I kept one frag in my display to grow out. My display is using a Hybrid T5 system with a Kessil AP700.

I know I need to rent a par meter to compare output intensities. My Kessil is at 50% output and the Mitras in theory is lower, I'm at 70% but operating in high efficiency mode, effectively half power. I also have access to a spectrophotometer that I really want to measure both these light sources with. I did some research before I bought the Mitras and the spectrums should be similar. Also due to my battle with GHA, for about a month I left the T5 lights unplugged in my display and only recently plugged them back in.

The images I have included are all from my display, I moved the frags of these I still have for sale out of the frag tank last night since the one I left behind definitely seems happier. SPS success is flipped between these two tanks, but I will save that one for a future post.

IMG_6554.JPGIMG_6549.JPG

I have found this interesting. The water quality parameters are very similar between my display and RS 170, however my growth and coloration results with these bicolor hammers are not. The frag tank has been setup for less time than my display so there could be some other difference at play here, but I suspect lighting.

I moved all of my bicolor hammer frags to the frag tank which is lit with a Mitras LX 7206 two months ago. I kept one frag in my display to grow out. My display is using a Hybrid T5 system with a Kessil AP700.

I know I need to rent a par meter to compare output intensities. My Kessil is at 50% output and the Mitras in theory is lower, I'm at 70% but operating in high efficiency mode, effectively half power. I also have access to a spectrophotometer that I really want to measure both these light sources with. I did some research before I bought the Mitras and the spectrums should be similar. Also due to my battle with GHA, for about a month I left the T5 lights unplugged in my display and only recently plugged them back in.

The images I have included are all from my display, I moved the frags of these I still have for sale out of the frag tank last night since the one I left behind definitely seems happier. SPS success is flipped between these two tanks, but I will save that one for a future post.

View attachment 13964View attachment 13965
ARC has some PAR meters available to it's members.

I think you are on the right track. Most likely will be PAR and/or Spectrum

I think you are on the right track. Most likely will be PAR and/or Spectrum

Without a doubt. Water parameters definitely play a part, but differences in lighting are huge.

D

Back