Big bulge on side of new Mccorker's

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I purchased a McCosker's, Blue Flasher and two Line Spot wrasse. They are being housed in a 29 cube QT. I soaked their food in Metronidazole the first two days and on day 5 treated the tank with Pratzipro. I lost a Line Spot on day 6, it had a lesion (sore) on one side of it's bladder area. I'm feeding Larry's Reef Frenzy 3 times a day allowing them to eat all they can for 2 to 3 minutes. No uneaten food is left in the tank. Water Prams are all in range, salinity is 1.025 and temp 79.
Tonight during feeding I noticed the McCosker's belly had a huge bulge on the left side only. It had already ate several mouths full of food when I spotted it. It's swimming fine and has no marks or sores visible. The other fish are all eating, swimming and look normal.
I treated the QT with a second application of Prazipro tonight. These are my first wrasse to own. I've searched the web, other forums etc. and haven't found any helpful information. If anyone has any knowledge, personal experience or suggestions regarding this issue I would appreciate hearing it.
Pics on the way..

95454135-4D05-4F23-85E6-5C4C019EDC54_zpsjsfpykm4.jpg
alt="" />
C4BE1406-CB3E-449D-9889-6CDF6CFBE136_zpswmws57nj.jpg
alt="" />
B94E7223-869C-4FB1-B5EE-E4A891103E72_zpsruuwrnuv.jpg
alt="" />

Hate to hear this Deb. Wish I could help but I am as lost as you are on this one. Hope some more experienced folks chime in.

No other symptoms? Swimming fine, no heavy gilling and is eating fine? Is the lump only to one side?

Not sure how these breed, but maybe eggs or pregnant?

Tough to say... Could be many things from it ate too much, to a tumor, to anything in between.

The one that died - any symptoms on it?

I'd watch and wait, seems like you are already doing all the right things, sometimes these things just happen.

Is it having any buoyancy issues?

No other symptoms, looks fine, swimming and eating like a pig!

Today the other two larger wrasse are both "courting" it appears! The Line Spot is a Brilliant Blue/Deep Purple and Both are Flashing often. The Mccorker's is the only female wrasse!!

Jenn, yes please read above. I believe the wrasse that died had swim bladder or internal parisites/worms etc. It had a red sore that developed by the bladder area, got lethargic and died the next day. I had ordered Prazipro but was told the fish had been treated with prazi before shipping. I did treat with prazi but it was to late for the sick one.
Do you think I'm feeding too much? It really does put large pieces in its mouth! It's the smallest of the wrasse by 3 times, of course.

I had planned on moving them to my DT today but didn't of course. Do you think it's ok to move the others? Then I could limit the size and amount of food the Mccorker's gets...

Thanks

While searching the web yesterday I emailed Bob Fernner at WetMedia and just got a reply from him.

He thought it could be an injury from being caught for shipping etc. I did provide ALL details above and more!
His biggest concern/recommendation was to "expedite quarantine" into main DT ASAP so I guess I'll take the others out tonight for sure... But he was referring to ALL of them, I believe!

Wait... Fenner suggested moving them OUT of quarantine while one is sick? That doesn't sound right to me.

Prazipro treats parasites - worms mostly. It won't treat infection.

Swim bladder infection usually results in buoyancy issues - and again that's infection, not parasite so Prazipro won't help that.

If it's a mechanical injury, then that could be infected - again Prazipro won't help that but antibiotics may be indicated if the injury is infected.

I'm kind of confused you appear to be getting conflicting information. I'd defer to Fenner but I'm not sure he would suggest moving sick fish out of quarantine and into a display.

It's only the McCosker's that's showing a problem, right? If it has an infected injury then the others are likely not at risk (or not much), but if the McCosker's has parasites, there's a chance that the others do too - fish eat poop.. and if they ate the infested poop then they could have worms too, IF that is what the McCosker's has.

Jenn

I'm with Ya Jenn, I was very surprised too!
He don't like my cube I guess!

Subject: Big bulge on one side of new McCosker's
Hello,
Two weeks ago I purchased a McCosker's, Blue Flasher and two Line Spot
wrasse from a large online retailer. They are being housed in a 29 cube
QT.
<I'd be moving these fishes ASAPractical... will damage themselves in such
a size, shape system>
I soaked their food in Met on day two and on day 5 treated the tank with
Pratzipro. I lost a Line Spot on day 6, it had a lesion (sore) on one side
of it's bladder area. I'm feeding Larry's Reef Frenzy 3 times a day
allowing them to eat all they can for 2 to 3 minutes. No uneaten food is
left in the tank. Water Prams are all in range, salinity is 1.025 and temp
Tonight during feeding I noticed the McCosker's belly had a huge bulge on
the left side only.
<I>
It had already ate several mouths full of food when I spotted it. It's
swimming fine and has no marks or sores visible. The other fish are all
eating, swimming and look normal.
I treated the QT with a second application of Prazipro tonight. Is there
anything else I should or can do if this bulge is still present tomorrow.
Please see attached photos. Thank you in advance for any advise.
Sincerely,
Debbie Hollifield
&lt;Looks to be some &quot;shipping damage&quot;; perhaps from needling post-capture
(not uncommon, and being discussed by some on Facebook currently)... Not
anything I would "do" other than provide good care, expedite the
quarantine... As the animal is feeding, behaving normally otherwise, this
will likely self-heal. Bob Fenner&gt;

He said to move it as soon as PRACTICAL. That's the Fenner I know.

Glad it seems to be on the mend.

Jenn

Back