Biocube 29G Black Box LED install

MiniQuaid

Supporting
Reaction score
hey everyone so my idea to upgrade the lighting in my biocube is to rip out all of the current lighting equipment and take a black box led I have and disassemble it and see if I can install the bare essentials into the biocube hood. does anyone have experience with disassembling black boxes or know any reason this wouldn't work? I've been looking at some of the retrofit kits like Steves LEDs but I can justify the price tag lol

Only issue I can think of is water/ salt protection or Maybe heat dissipation depending what you have to take apart.

I got tired of messing with my lid and threw it away and went topless.

Only issue I can think of is water/ salt protection or Maybe heat dissipation depending what you have to take apart.

I got tired of messing with my lid and threw it away and went topless.

The housing the current lights are in is totally waterproof so that shouldn’t be a problem, and as for heat I had planned on mounting the fans up against two cutouts in the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen people just essentially cut out a hole in the lid and set the black box in there without disassembling. Seems like more trouble than it was worth to me. Like @Eric_n_Ga I just went topless with a black box on my biocube

I did it on my old biocube. I gutted the old lights out and then took all the guts out of a black box light. then mounted them in the same enclosure as the old lights. It was a tight fit and a pain but it is possible. I mounted fans from the black box light into the lid too

Update: it is possible and can be done I NBC about 2 hours lol, I gutted the hood and gutted the black box and installed it into the hood using some zip ties and plastic weld, fits surprisingly well! And now I don’t have to drop $400 on the Steve’s leds woo! If anyone is considering doing this, honestly if your a DIYer at all it’s easy and definitely worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should post a pic of how it turned out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Please post some pictures...I am inclined to try the same.

I have been thinking about this as well. I have an old Chinese black box that the whites has died in. So I think my next project is going be ripping it apart and trying to retrofit just the led board into my 29 gallon lid

Back