BioCube Alternatives?

kdg

Market
Reaction score
I absolutely love my BioCube 29, but am curious to know if there are alternatives in the plug-and-play category. As someone who really lacks DIY skills, i appreciate the built-in features that these kinds of tanks offer. Are there similar products out there, perhaps in the 30g-55g range? BioCubes, as far as i know, are only available in two sizes (14g and 29g).

Thanks!

Wow, thanks for the fast responses! I just did a quick Google search for these brands...both seem great. I recognize the Red Sea from some of the LFSs around town. The Innovative Marine tanks are very attractive. Any experience with these systems? At first glance, they both appear more "high end" than BioCubes. Is that a fair assessment?

im not sure about the IM tanks but the RSM are definitely a high end tank.

There are a few members here running IM tanks and I think they look great and the members seem to love them. I'd say it's a pretty good reputation from what I've read.

Picoreefguy;1017197 wrote: im not sure about the IM tanks but the RSM are definitely a high end tank.

Definitely high end, but the styling isn't exactly the latest and greatest if you're worried about aesthetics as well. For those with a wife (or are the wife!), this factors in a lot.

tonymission;1017208 wrote: There are a few members here running IM tanks and I think they look great and the members seem to love them. I'd say it's a pretty good reputation from what I've read.

Definitely high end, but the styling isn't exactly the latest and greatest if you're worried about aesthetics as well. For those with a wife (or are the wife!), this factors in a lot.
Unless your wife is like mine and is in fact the reason we have so much. Most think I'm lucky but it hits the wallet hard when two are buying for the same hobby

@BrandonMason, I'm in a similar situation to you. Sometimes i wish that somebody was around to say no!

I saw in another thread that the OP permitted sponsors to contribute. I'd like to piggy-back onto that model and welcome sponsors to PM me (or post here i suppose) any offers that they can make on a 30g-50g all-in-one option including stand. Based on the little research that i've done, i'm fairly sure that i'm priced out of the Red Sea option. Someone please let me know if this is not standard protocol...

Thanks.

Innovative Marine does make some nice looking tanks. No doubt.
I have a Red Sea Max 250 with a few additions and modifications.

The reason we got the RSM was the canopy.
There's a love/hate with it.
I sort of like the open top design but...I've got fish that would love to become pro carpet surfers as well as two cats that would take up scuba diving if given the chance.
The canopy holds in heat but at the same time, the RSM is pretty well ventilated while the T5s are running.

My wife picked out the RSM while I was looking/researching them. Surprised me that we were thinking the same thing at the same time. Seldom happens. ;)

Anyway, she likes the look of the tank and the fact that almost all of the gear & plumbing is "out of sight". Neither of of us like seeing all the BS in the tank.

I had to put a chiller on mine. My chiller connects to the back (as designed by Red Sea) and drops about 14 feet below into the basement. This helps keep the noise and extra heat out of the living room.

I'm pretty sure the Innovative Marine have a glass top but...you'll want to confirm just in case you want to keep creatures in or out of the tank.

I have an innovative marine sr60. It is a shallow reef and I love it. They come with a hefty price tag but are nice quality. The larger tanks come with a mesh top.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1017337=59769-uploadfromtaptalk1424868792715.jpg
>
1017337=59769-uploadfromtaptalk1424868792715.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1424868792715.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1017337=59770-uploadfromtaptalk1424868806104.jpg
>
1017337=59770-uploadfromtaptalk1424868806104.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1424868806104.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

JeffandKelly;1017337 wrote: I have an innovative marine sr60. It is a shallow reef and I love it. They come with a hefty price tag but are nice quality. The larger tanks come with a mesh top.

:up::up:

Here's my RSM250 (66 gallon) tank. This was about 9 months ago. We've made a few additions and things have grown since. But you'll get the idea.

F4oiC6ffRwI

JeffandKelly;1017337 wrote: I have an innovative marine sr60. It is a shallow reef and I love it. They come with a hefty price tag but are nice quality. The larger tanks come with a mesh top.

Innovative Marine Tanks are really nice, I've had the Nuvo 24, Nuvo 16, and Nuvo 8. All were great tanks, but I missed not having a sump. I am pretty sure that all of the newer model tanks (SR and Fusion Series) come with a mesh top.

The Red Sea tanks are great too, and the new reefer series would be what I would be considering if I were in your shoes. These tanks come as an All-In-One tank, but have the ability to convert to below tank filtration sump later on down the road should you so choose to do so. I am not sure when they are going to be released, if they haven't already. Red Sea has quit using bent glass and have started to incorporate starphire glass with black siliconed seams and replaceable seal protectors. Great design and beautiful tanks.

I have a Solana also. Not as much room in the chambers as the larger IM

Great help, everybody. Your tanks look great. These are all nice options.

JeffandKelly, what do you mean by "shallow reef?" Does this mean that the tank is not tall or perhaps this implies a certain type of reef collection?

Y-Not, i love that Yellow Coris Wrasse. Those are so full of personality.

Thanks!
He's one hell-of-a jumper and one of the reasons for a closed top.

There's a LFS near me that had 2 or 3 of them. They had two tanks, back to back.
They use to jump from one tank into the other. Freaky!

Haven't seen the Wrasses recently. Maybe they mis-judged the distance one night?

JeffandKelly, what do you mean by "shallow reef?" Does this mean that the tank is not tall or perhaps this implies a certain type of reef collection?

Yes - they are not tall :). Dimensions are 36 long X 24 wide by 16 or 17 tall. Very easy to light and work inside

Back