black,bue,or clear background

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
ok i have blue but was thinking of changing the back of my tank to black i wanted to know what everyone thought or had thanks victor

I like blue since it gives a nice depth and I think it looks better under more blue tinted lighting. However if you have black overflows go with black. I may rip mine off and put black on at some point. I would also use the film that applies with water and a bit of soap (like window tint). It is cheap and you can always change it later.

I don't have a background on any of my tanks, but the black doesn't show as much algae growth as the blue--from what I've seen

No One beleives me on this, but a charcoal gray looks the best!!!!! It intensifies the colors without your LR or live stock getting lost in the background.

Try it, you'll like it, it'll even look good with your black overflows

It doesn't matter, after 6 months, you can't see through the coraline anyway :)

Got all of ya...Ive got a navy suede picture matting on mine...... its fraggin schweeet.

Schwaggs;119685 wrote: It doesn't matter, after 6 months, you can't see through the coraline anyway :)

Agreed! I tore off mine on the overflow so I can use a magnet for my tunzes (reduce thickness). All you see now is corraline!

raj nobody asked you ....your on another level of tanks here im talking about the regular person ;)

Victor626nj;119694 wrote: raj nobody asked you ....your on another level of tanks here im talking about the regular person ;)

:) Cleaned my glass today...looking good without all that crap covering it!

You should just snorkel while cleaning it. Get in a little swim time while you clean.

Dakota9;119665 wrote: No One beleives me on this, but a charcoal gray looks the best!!!!! It intensifies the colors without your LR or live stock getting lost in the background.

Try it, you'll like it, it'll even look good with your black overflows
I dont beleive you.

I like my blue background quite a bit. So much so that I tediously clean it of coralline algae.

I have a rock/wall background that I bought at Petsmart. It's kind of grayish, but looks like a rocky wall.

I did mine black but if i had it to do over again I would go with a dark gray that way the black in any fish would stand out better and you would still get good contrast in coral color

just curious about what type of material people are using for the backgrounds. I have black on my 70 and after a year or so I can barely see it thorugh the coraline, but it was the plastic stuff they sell at petsmart etc. I'm setting up the 55 FOWLR and need a background. I am using black reef sand mixed with Indo-Pacific for the bottom (looks freakin awesome) so I think Gray backing would set off the sand bed nicely. All I have ever seen is blue or black in the rolls of plastic backnig in the LFS.... where can I find some gray?
Bob

Make it look like a big mouth of a fish is about to eat the whole tank! Ok..blue is my preference!

Back