Black Ick?

liverock27

Market
Reaction score
I noticed the other day that both my True Percs had acouple of black spots on their sides like ick. Since I first noticed the spots they have gotten more. There are no spots on their fins. It also is not on their white bands. The spots are not raised and there are no bumps or sores to go along w/the spots. Also they are swimming and eating and don't show any signs of being unhealthy. I read that they can get spots from being stung by corals, but the only corals in the tank are zoas and one Acan frag. They are not being hosted by any of these. They are two very young ORA true percs that are still more yellow than orange and have not developed any of their black marking yet. Thanks for any help.

Sounds like Black Spot Disease...

a>

That sucks. I don't have a QT to put these guys in. Any suggestions? It looks like even if I treat these guys as long as I put them back in the tank they will be exposed to it again and the worms can live for up to several months without a host. I might be in a bad place.

Don't know if it will work, but Salifert Exit kills flatworms. Don't know if it will work on these, but it is completely reef safe.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think I should do a dip on both clowns and then treat the tank w/them in it. Any suggestions on how I should go about treating these little guys would be great. Thanks again.

poritescaribe;135270 wrote: you can to do OR water dip for 45 to 60 sec. aprox. this is good
I am unsure what you ment by this poritescaribe?

So you do a freshwater a water dip for about a minute. Do I need to warm the water to about the tank temp? Thanks for the help.

make sure that the ph matches as well or it will die also use metholyn blue if you can if your gonna do a dip

Here are a couple of pictures of them.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
135392=8395-DSCN0452.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
135392=8395-DSCN0452.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSCN0452.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
135392=8396-DSCN0456.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
135392=8396-DSCN0456.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSCN0456.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I personally wouldn't do anything with the clowns. It's most likely just a skin reaction from hosting in a new coral and usually goes away within a few weeks on its own. It happens a lot actually.

I would for sure inspect closely and make sure it's black ick (which is extremely rare in clowns) before doing any treatment,

i see the pics and may be this is not black ick.Black ick is black and more small size.
BUt dip have not any problems for the fish

I hope the pics can help out. It is hard to get them to sit still long enough to keep them in frame.

The pics really make me confirm earlier thinking. Black ich is much smaller. As long as their appitite keeps up and nothing else develops I would simply watch!

Back