Black Sand

I definitely cant go without my magnetic scraper so IF I go black (which I think is about 60/40 right now...it has to be the non magnetic stuff.

Jin, saw the pics on your blog....definitely looks very different than when you first put it up. looks good though. But im kind of loving the jet black look. Im thinking if its going to become salt and pepper i might go white. ahhh.....I hate decisions!!!

hahaha.....that's funny Jin....."be like lee," :lol3:

wow....ok im done laughing now. but really, you could probably tell me that no sand is the absolute best way to keep a fish tank hands down and I dont think I'd do it. I just love the look of sand and all the critters it comes with.

My tank is barebottom now but this is an old pic when it had black sand, Most those corals are gone now lol
fts1.jpg
alt="" />

Certainly any tank substrate will get mixed with other stuff off the rock, but if you start with all black, it will stay darker for most of the tank's life.
Dave

Look at sailfish's thread. He used a black white mix that looked phenominal/

awesome Ace...i think that looks really nice. I think im going to try it as long as i can find the non magnetic black sand. I figure if I don't like Ill probably have to tear down this in a couple of years anyway so it's not that long....better to try it on a 90 then on my future dream 1,000,000 gallon tank.

I used Nature's Ocean Black Sand. Some say it looks unnatural but it is indeed very natural in volcanic reef areas in the South Pacific and Indonesia.

It is definitly a very interesting look!

I doesn't really appear "dirtier" than natural colored sand. I think it's no different. White sand shows ditritus even more i would say.

The Nature's Ocean product is magnetic. It's annoying if you use a magnet algae scraper because it can get stuck in there. Doesnt scratch the glass in my tank though. The company is supposed to get back to me with test results but ensures that it is safe to use based on the "fishing grounds" it comes from.

I've heard some people saying it can absorb heat moreso than white sand but I havent had any issues at all.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
273848=15046-DSC03411.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
273848=15046-DSC03411.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC03411.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

wow...awesome tank! I think if im going to go with a sand other than white its going to be a pure black. at least that way i can enjoy the pure black for a little while if not longer.

alright so since you did it....I guess Im jumping off the empire state building too. f it. black sand it is. Is the one you got from Sammy the non magnetic one? Which pics are you talking about by the way?

ah found em. All the white spots you see are snail poop and other stuff. Looks amazing but just to much work. The mix is a much better way to go.

normal_work%20228.jpg
alt="" />

>

Looks very nice! I think I may go with the black/white mix so I don't lose the black clowns I plan to get. So many decisions....I need more tanks....

Custom 15g I made about 5 years ago. It crashed when I went to australia and new zealand for 3 months so I put the leftovers in the 58g and its been used as a frag system since then.

It will be for sale in a month or so when I move.

150w DE 14k phoenix, and i have a 20k ushio along with 2x65w PC actinics.

If ya want to know anything else just drop me a PM, I have lots of pics of the build too.

Back