Black sand

mapleredta

Market
Reaction score
I cant remember who posted it but it was not long ago, if somebody could point me in the correct direction as to where id be able find black sand I would greatly appreciate it.:D

mapleredta;148664 wrote: I cant remember who posted it but it was not long ago, if somebody could point me in the correct direction as to where id be able find black sand I would greatly appreciate it.:D

I just set up my 90 with Natures Ocean Black sand from Petco...NOT cheap but set up quickly and looks awesome (I think)

Pics on my link below

You might check Petsmart there giving away a few SW things right now. one of them is Seachem Sand $6.99 the another is 16 oz Kent Calcium two part A-B stuff $3.99, talk about a loss leader.

Seachem has a line of different sands... I'm not sure what colors Petsmart stock. But the stuff normaly retails for about $20 for the 20/25 pound bags.

I think I saw it at Dunwoody Petland the other day too. I have black sand in my nano, looks pretty cool

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10741+7324&pcatid=7324">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10741+7324&pcatid=7324</a>

Shipping for a lot of it is reasonable.

not live..I was going to go that route...decided on the live argonite natures ocean...this is cheaper for sure :)

Aquabuys can get it cheaper...

AugustaSalty;148787 wrote: The downside of black sand is that it does not provide the nutrients and calcium of other sands.

Its pretty much a myth that aragonite based sand adds anything of value to your water column. Yes the sand is full of Ca and Alk but it won't start to dissolve until the pH reaches ~6.8 or less at which point everything in your tank is dead. This is why we have calcium reactors... they are filled with the same material as the sand but in order to make it dissolve we lower the pH in the reactor.

FutureInterest;149451 wrote: Its pretty much a myth that aragonite based sand adds anything of value to your water column. Yes the sand is full of Ca and Alk but it won't start to dissolve until the pH reaches ~6.8 or less at which point everything in your tank is dead. This is why we have calcium reactors... they are filled with the same material as the sand but in order to make it dissolve we lower the pH in the reactor.
Actually Jin, the depth of the sand bed does influence the localized conditions, and can create a condition where the media will dissolve. I have seen many tanks where the sand slowly "disappears". Do I think this plays a pertinent role in tank health? Absolutely not! But does it happens? Truthfully, yes.

I don't know enough about DSBs to really comment on whether a localized acidic zone forms or not. I'll take your word for it and stick with my shallow sand bed.

I have about 10 lbs of the tahian moon stuff left from my old nano if anyone wants it. Worked fine in my nano for 3 years with no issues BUT beware though, it looks awesome but its a PINA to keep looking good. Everything is white and shows up. Detritus, bits of rock, everything shows up and makes it look bad.

I had to suck out the top layer of sand and replace it every month to keep it from looking like crap, and it would only look good for about a week or so.

There is some new live sand that just came out thats not as black as that stuff, but its nice. And it already has some other stuff mixed in so the white bits wont show up as much. I saw it at CBA (in the nano on the desk) and im considering that for my next tank.

The pure black stuff is just to much of a pain.

At $2 per pound let me think... Let's see... I need 676 pounds... so... basically 34 bags... or $1340... Group buy???

Back