black spots

I have a rbta that they will not go into but I do notice that they like to hang out in my plate coral at night.

I disagree 1000000000% . Whether or not clownfish host in anything doenst change their appearance.

363.jpg
>http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt229/dfastrthnu2009/363.jpg</a>

I have seen it NOT happen thousands of times. Should we continue to dance? Youre making a speculation that has been made a million times before, and have never ever once been proven, and has been casually disproven by observations like mine.

Now, my B&W clowns get small orange patches - maybe it#s because they're NOT hosting? LOL

Robb

gsellers1245;349007 wrote: yeah lets dance...define Hyper-Melaninization and the cause. :)

Love to. There is no "cause". at least no environmnetal one. Ever hear of Xanthic or hypomelanistic animals? What is their "cause"? How about albinism, which is a congenital condiution of the absence of melanin? All these occur without environmental influence.

In this case, there is a species of animals that is DEFINED by its anomolous colration and patterning of the skin. So, whats more realisitic: the possibility that a skin reaction which either nematocyst laden, on non nematocyst laden corals (such as the xenia and star polyps you suggest) are causing some hypermelanistic reaction, OR the fact that they have some bizarre genetic code to craete an anomolous coloration pattern? As these are picassos, which are defined as a percula with a anomolous coloration pattern, I think I'll stick with the latter. Event furthermore, in the light that perculas clown do not characteristictically acquitre much of their darker coloration until they mature. This would explain the anomolous dotting and the sudden appearance.

However, in light of conversation, what evidence can you provide that it is "caused" by hosting? If I am wrong, I would love to apologize and be educated. I currently have a pair of picassos which have hosted in everything from my mag float, to acanthastrea, to halimeda, to euphyllids, and finally to the BTA. Yet, I see no spots. And I have seen thousands of other clowns that have the same casual relationship. And I have also seen spots on clown wih no hosts apparent. Just my observations.

I hope uo understand I am not trying to be rude or inflammatory, but you have a made a very specific statemnt which I think is misleading and incorrect. I hope to discuss it, rather than argue.

I have a pair of "false-percs" (about 4 years old) that have no host and developed black spotting, fwiw.

jmaneyapanda;349016 wrote: Love to. There is no "cause". at least no environmnetal one. Ever hear of Xanthic or hypomelanistic animals? What is their "cause"? How about albinism, which is a congenital condiution of the absence of melanin? All these occur without environmental influence.

In this case, there is a species of animals that is DEFINED by its anomolous colration and patterning of the skin. So, whats more realisitic: the possibility that a skin reaction which either nematocyst laden, on non nematocyst laden corals (such as the xenia and star polyps you suggest) are causing some hypermelanistic reaction, OR the fact that they have some bizarre genetic code to craete an anomolous coloration pattern? As these are picassos, which are defined as a percula with a anomolous coloration pattern, I think I'll stick with the latter. Event furthermore, in the light that perculas clown do not characteristictically acquitre much of their darker coloration until they mature. This would explain the anomolous dotting and the sudden appearance.

However, in light of conversation, what evidence can you provide that it is "caused" by hosting? If I am wrong, I would love to apologize and be educated. I currently have a pair of picassos which have hosted in everything from my mag float, to acanthastrea, to halimeda, to euphyllids, and finally to the BTA. Yet, I see no spots. And I have seen thousands of other clowns that have the same casual relationship. And I have also seen spots on clown wih no hosts apparent. Just my observations.

I hope uo understand I am not trying to be rude or inflammatory, but you have a made a very specific statemnt which I think is misleading and incorrect. I hope to discuss it, rather than argue.
I have to agree.
Chris c

Back