Blue linkia seastar question

genesis

Market
Reaction score
So I purchased a Blue Linkia seastar on Thursday and it has been in my tank for 5 days now. It has not moved from the same area it was located when first introduced it into the tank. It was drip acclimated for well over an hour and given ample time to get use to the new water chemistry. I did test all my parameters and everything is good. Not sure if this means something is wrong with it or is just part of the process?????

Check if its dead, lol Those stars typically do not bode well in aquariums.

Most likely dead. They are super tough to acclimate properly. I got one as a hitchhiker once and he melted away within a few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it's not dead fortunately. It does move probably 2 inches at the most in any direction but stays secluded to this one area under a rock.

Fish retailers say anything to make a buck. Best to ask in a forum first.

porpoiseaquatics;1012404 wrote: Blue's should only be in a Fish only tank too.

Ummm....nooooo

They are perfectly reef safe, if its moving but not much it probably found something yummy there to eat. If your worried like its been said flip it over and see if it corrects itself.

The bad thing is that if they are not acclimated right at any point in their journey to you they will die but it takes them weeks to do it so you never know if it was you or the wholesaler or the store.

the blues are a lot harder to keep than the reds which is sad cause they are so beautiful, but both should not get exposed to the air at anytime and long acclamation is best for these guys.
i keep a red for about 1 1/2 years till he passed and until i figure out the science behind these these guys, i wont be getting another in a hurry.
is there anyone with one long term, what your secret?
hope he survives for you.

I had one for 4 years till my tank crashed.

The major problem with them is no one knows what they eat. They always do better in larger tanks with lots of rocks.

When I was working at a LFS we would not sell them to people with less then 80 lbs of live rock, and always recommended people get the smallest one they could find (smaller needs less food, better chance at getting enough in a tank)

If acclimated correctly and in a tank with enough rock they will do just fine. If it lasts more then 2 months chances are it will live for a very long time.

EnderG60;1012491 wrote: I had one for 4 years till my tank crashed.

The major problem with them is no one knows what they eat. They always do better in larger tanks with lots of rocks.

When I was working at a LFS we would not sell them to people with less then 80 lbs of live rock, and always recommended people get the smallest one they could find (smaller needs less food, better chance at getting enough in a tank)

If acclimated correctly and in a tank with enough rock they will do just fine. If it lasts more then 2 months chances are it will live for a very long time.

Well that's good to know. I do have about 140 lbs of live rock that been in my tank for 2 years now. With it being such a beautiful sea star I would much prefer it to be out and about, not hidden in a cave under a rock lol. I do appreciate all the feedback and we will see if it makes it.

EnderG60;1012476 wrote: Ummm....nooooo

They are perfectly reef safe, if its moving but not much it probably found something yummy there to eat. If your worried like its been said flip it over and see if it corrects itself.

The bad thing is that if they are not acclimated right at any point in their journey to you they will die but it takes them weeks to do it so you never know if it was you or the wholesaler or the store.
Actually with blue linkias if they are not moving much thats a bad sign. I remember my first tank when Sal at Saltwater City sold me one... had I only known... it lasted about 2weeks

jp30338;1012624 wrote: . I remember my first tank when Sal at Saltwater City sold me one... had I only known... it lasted about 2weeks

This ^^^ but a bit different happened to me too!

jp30338;1012624 wrote: Actually with blue linkias if they are not moving much thats a bad sign. I remember my first tank when Sal at Saltwater City sold me one... had I only known... it lasted about 2weeks

if it only lasted 2 weeks it was dying well before you purchased it.

Well look who finally decided to come out and play!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1014872=59440-image.jpg
>
1014872=59440-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

EnderG60 is the only person telling the correct info here - you are spot on.

They are safe with corals and other inverts. If they aren't properly handled all along the chain of custody, they will perish - that's the trick, and yes they can take a couple of weeks to start to 'melt down'.

If they survive all that to the end-keeper's tank, they can live perfectly well for years. It's believed that they bacterial and algal film - that's the best guess out there.

If it's in one spot for a while, it probably found something to eat. They do best in larger tanks where they can find more food, but they aren't terribly active. They do move around but it's unusual to see them move a whole lot, and sometimes they'll find themselves a happy spot and just stay there for long periods of time.

The whole thing about exposing them to air is a myth. I wouldn't leave one out of the water any longer than necessary but moving them from acclimation tub to tank won't hurt them.

Jenn

Back