Blue Squamosa Diary

Man I want a blue sqami so bad but I just cant bring my self to buy a clam under 3". If I could find one 4"+ id but it in a heartbeat.

Do you know what the par levels yours was at?

Good luck - you'll never find an ultra blue that large...or at least I havent seen one that large for sale. Which means 1 of 2 things...we are either fools and they don't last or they take too large to reach that size (probably over a year to grow from 2" to 4" based on my brown squammy). You can find the much uglier blue "mosiac" squammies at a larger size but they are not as nice.

The blue I stupidly killed was probably at 200-250par. It was in a low boy and directly under the light was about 350 and about 150 in the shade.
In hindsight it may have starved as I ran mostly blue lights...but I guess we'll never know.

Ive found small clams really need to be fed or put in REALLY high light due to their small size, and small surface area to collect light.

The few successes Ive heard of for small clams actually remove the clam and put it in a bowl of phyto for an hour every day or two.

Ill leave the squam for later, I just put a crocea in and I have a maxima in QT. Ill see how those do first.

Ooof almost pulled the trigger on a blue this morning- Corals Anonymous dropped their pricing to $175-200 but as I was checking out I reviewed the R2R thread and looked closely at this pic showing the CA clam on the right...too many issues - it looks wild caught with no scutes and doesn't have a growth ring on the shell.
Sadly, and probably smartly, I passed on these low priced blues :(

1706189486388.png

Applauding myself for showing self restraint

giphy.gif

For a brief period I experimented with dosing iron and manganese for my gonis but stopped bc I couldn't really measure those elements. But the clams would've gotten those elements too and I can't say that I noticed anything different.
But more recently, the four clams I have now are doing pretty well. Growth rings are always visible and I don't do much. I've ordered a full spectrum led spotlight that I'm going to test out to see if they like more light. Nothing fancy - just a bulb and a clamp

Last edited:
Well here is a kick in the nuts...I hope someone smarter than me can fact check this.
I also hope it isn't true bc thats definitely a deal breaker

There was a whole bunch of back and forth on this last night on R2R and then it all got deleted lol

The basic premise was that PEA was speculated to get their clams from a farm which may have been infected. And the poster was speculated to have a relationship with clamania.

Anyhow here is my el cheapo spotlight for the clams…they seem to enjoy it. The bulb is a full spectrum (I think) led equivalent to 85w

IMG_4781.jpegIMG_4783.jpeg

I noticed that PEA pulled all of their blue squammies off their website...I wonder if any correlation to the R2R thread regarding Perkinsus.
Austin Aqua Farms still has 3 as does Corals Anon

Back