Bluespotted jawfish vs dwarf lionfish Round 1 (of 1)

oz

Market
Reaction score
Blue spotted jawfish killed himself by attacking a dwarf lion! brought the little guy home last night, he was all happy under his rock. dwarf lion landed above him on a rock, he got pissed and made the mistake of attacking the front of the lionfish!

I only caught the immediate aftermath but he impaled himself on the front head spine of the lionfish. The lion shook him off, he was paralyzed and lost color. Came back for a little while but then the venom over took him. ****.

so lionfish back to the big tank and had to get another bluespot for the kitchen tank.

Live and learn the hard way so you guys won't make the same mistake. If anyone's interested, be carefull mixing these two fish.

:bash2:

wow thats and expensive lesson sorry for your loss ..... but yeah try and get storee credit

Victor626nj;173128 wrote: wow thats and expensive lesson sorry for your loss ..... but yeah try and get storee credit

Why on earth would you try to get store credit for something that was not at all the fault of the LFS? Telling the seller that he sold you a sick fish and having someone else pay for your own mistake seems wrong.

That's sticking it to the man! Besides, a fish just getting sick and dying is not the fault of the fish store either. Nor is it their fault if it is just a poor specimen. Or if you accidentally kill it in any number of ways. I guess what I'm saying is, when is it the LFS's fault?

I was kinda joking, but a business is a usually more capable of eating the cost than an individual.

So, I see it both ways.

corvettecris;173148 wrote: That's sticking it to the man! Besides, a fish just getting sick and dying is not the fault of the fish store either. Nor is it their fault if it is just a poor specimen. Or if you accidentally kill it in any number of ways. I guess what I'm saying is, when is it the LFS's fault?

I was kinda joking, but a business is a usually more capable of eating the cost than an individual.

So, I see it both ways.

Just my 2 cents..... A business is more capable yes, but when a lot of customers try this and the business goes under, who's fault is it then?

All I am saying is that if your LFS treats you right and offers the best prices and you try this you will be left with petco as your LFS.

Just my opinion...

corvettecris;173148 wrote: a fish just getting sick and dying is not the fault of the fish store either. Nor is it their fault if it is just a poor specimen. Or if you accidentally kill it in any number of ways. I guess what I'm saying is, when is it the LFS's fault?

So, I see it both ways.

No, a fish just getting sick after you bought it not the fault of the LFS. Those things just happen.

But if the LFS sells a stressed or damaged fish that has little chance of surviving (some LFS's just dump their fish from the shipping bags into their for-sale tanks with no acclimation or Q/T), then yes, I think that's the fault of the LFS and a store credit is warranted.

tim8111;173157 wrote: Just my 2 cents..... A business is more capable yes, but when a lot of customers try this and the business goes under, who's fault is it then?

All I am saying is that if your LFS treats you right and offers the best prices and you try this you will be left with petco as your LFS.

Just my opinion...

Agree 1000% ... and that particular fish is not your dime-a-dozen damsel.

wow holy **** it was just a joke ......guess i should have put a smily face ..... and tim word on the street says you are staying open :D smilie for you guys .....

Ah, but that's dramatic. Yes if a lot of people did it it would kill a business, but under that train of though, a person who spends cash on a fish that dies, then cant recover credit, might get discouraged, abandon the hobby, and then so on till no more LFS either. I think the odds of Chris starting a detrimental trend of returning customer-killed fish is low.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but blue spot jaws are not suited for captivity. I have never met a person that has had one long term. My longest success was about 4 months. I wish I was wrong, but these fish need to stay in the ocean. Quit wasting your money. I wish this wasn't true, because they are one of my all time favorite fish.

corvettecris;173165 wrote: Ah, but that's dramatic. Yes if a lot of people did it it would kill a business, but under that train of though, a person who spends cash on a fish that dies, then cant recover credit, might get discouraged, abandon the hobby, and then so on till no more LFS either. I think the odds of Chris starting a detrimental trend of returning customer-killed fish is low.
lol

not true i believe one of our members had one for quite some time but they need a real deep sand bed with an established tank

Wow sorry to hear that. Yesterday my chromie (the only one I was unable to catch) was locking jaw with a newly added anthia. I am surprised because the chromie has always been peaceful.

I have two blue spotted Jawfish, they are my favorite. Yeah they are very brave. I love it how they flare up when i fish swims close.

i gladly supported the LFS and bought another bluespot, definitely not their fault - I got the joke V. :)

He has a 4"+ black sandbed and seems very happy so far. looks very bright against the black sand.

Simon - you have a Male / Female pair, 2 in a large tank, or 2 in separate tanks?

Simon.Kruger;173243 wrote: I have two blue spotted Jawfish, they are my favorite. Yeah they are very brave. I love it how they flare up when i fish swims close.
How long have you had them?

Back