Book Recommendation

curator

Market
Reaction score
I have several books on reef tanks, but am looking for one that goes into more depth on topics such as anatomy and physiology of specific orgamisms. Examples: fan worms and their fans, anemone/clown relationships, detailed information about various species of corals, etcetera - ad nauseam.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

John

I would suggest that if you want a detailed look at topics as you mentioned, you will need to look into different books, rather than just one. "the Modern reef Aquarium" series by A J Nilsen and someone else (I cant think of who right now) is pretty in depth about indivudal organisms, but it a little outdated.
The epitome of coral books is the "Corals of the World" by Veron. I am still flipping through the three volumes, and I have had it for months.

Thats like reading the old testament in King James to me lol

Pictures....LOTS of Pictures :)

I have to agree with some of those before me that not one book will cover everything. Currenty I own; The Reef Aquarium series by Delbeek & Sprung, Modern Reef Aquariums vol. 1 (Steve Fossa was the 2nd author panda), Giant Clams by Knop, Giant Clams by Fatheree, Aquarium Corals by Borneman, Reef Fishes vol. 1 S. Micheal, Clownfishes by Wilkerson and Corals & Invertebrates by Sprung. There are at least another half dozen or so that I would like to get my hands on as well. I find fascinating information in each of the books and they are all a little different in their approach. Also each has a different photograph, so when trying to ID a species I end up pulling out almost every volume I own.

For clownfish and anemones I do like Wilkersons' Clownfishes. It has a treasure trove of information. Whether you would like to breed or simply husbandry. Do you own Aquarium Corals (Borneman) if not I would start there. It has, I think, alot of what you are looking for. If not possibly try the Reef Aquarium series by Delbeek & Sprung. As for Vernons' Corals of the World, I have never seen a copy, so I can't say. I do know that it is supposed to be awesome.

If you have any other questions about any of the books that I own feel free to contact me, and I will search through for the specified topic.

Bill

Back