Brass fitting ok??

cment

Market
Reaction score
So the plastic dual washer adapter for my RODI unit that AWI sent me leaks, I wanted to make sure using a brass adapter from Home Depot was acceptable to use and won't harm the RODI water I use. I'm assuming it won't be an issue considering that's what the pipes are actually made from but wanted to double check and make sure...

with it before the RO unit I dont see it being a problem as long as you have a DI to remove any copper that leaches out of the brass.

NorthGaHillbilly;990940 wrote: with it before the RO unit I dont see it being a problem as long as you have a DI to remove any copper that leaches out of the brass.

Yep itll be before the unit, Thats exactly what I was thinking...

indecloudzua;990970 wrote: wheres it leaking from??

it leaks right where the fitting joins the cold water hook up. Ive tried using teflon tape which didnt help. Im thinking that the pressure is just too great for a plastic fitting.

there should also be a rubber gasket on the inside of the fitting..is there one??mine was missing and it leaked even when i tried the teflon tape as well..

yep its there...i even had them send me a new adapter and same thing happened

haha yeah thats why im thinking a metal fitting would be better as long as it doesnt leach anything

Well, is it just the hot water lines in houses that are copper? If not, they haven't seem to have adverse effects on my system..test it out and take some tds readings(does copper count as a heavy metal?)

I ran with a DIY brass and stainless steel adapter setup on my faucet for years with no issues and always 0 tds water. My sink in the garage has a diiferent threading and I am currently using a stanless adapter for the faucet threads with a bypass valve in case I want water from the faucet instead of from RODI filter. The water tubing slides right onto the side of the adapter. Works great.

there's probably 50+ feet of copper piping in your house before it gets to the faucet. Is there something about a 1" brass fitting that's going to leach more than 50' of copper?

outdrsyguy1;991029 wrote: there's probably 50+ feet of copper piping in your house before it gets to the faucet. Is there something about a 1" brass fitting that's going to leach more than 50' of copper?

^ This. I would not worry about it personally.

outdrsyguy1;991029 wrote: there's probably 50+ feet of copper piping in your house before it gets to the faucet. Is there something about a 1" brass fitting that's going to leach more than 50' of copper?

I thought a RO system would remove copper from water?

It does. That's the point. As long as your fittings are before the di/ro you should be fine.

Brass on an RO/DI unit gives me the heebie jeebies. But yes, many (most) have copper pipes in their homes, and the city water comes in through metal pipes.

Be absolutely certain that any metal fittings (and yes, copper is a heavy metal), are BEFORE the RO membrane and not after it.

John Guest fittings are pretty durable - they are plastic and you should be able to get one to suit the application - if you can't, PM me, I work for a distributor of all that sort of stuff.

Jenn

Back