bristle worms

jgarrett830

Market
Reaction score
Ok ..have a question for yall.....One of my fellow reef friends has a major problem with bristle worms....she is on the point of tearing the whole system down and cleaning the system. She has them up to an inch long....everything she puts in the tank has problems eating them. What do yall recommend...Thanks

thanks for the site..i will pass it along to her....let her try that.....and also the six line wrasse......told her about that already...so wayb....u get any snow lastnight to amount to anything....im over in helen...cousin works up there..in blairsville owns a shop

Bristleworms are not a problem animal. They are a free clean up crew that everyone freaks out about. I would suggest not doing anything, unless she cant stand the sight of them.

Akopley;276229 wrote: yeah they are great until they turn against you.
Bristleworms dont turn against you. They eat detritus and decaying organisms. If ridding your tank of waste is something you dont want, then I guess theyw ould be "against you". I guess my point is that, for some reason, everyone things texactly that.m That one day, they will "turn against you", revolt, and eat your children. Hogwash and poppycock.

well hers is killing things in the tank she told me...i am going to go over and see for myself.....i really think there is more going on...she cant keep fish...or anything...

jgarrett830;276242 wrote: well hers is killing things in the tank she told me...i am going to go over and see for myself.....i really think there is more going on...she cant keep fish...or anything...

I doubt it. They eat dead and dying things, and ALWAYS get the bad rep for being "killers". First step would be to get an absolute ID. Fireworms are known to eat soft corals, and some eunicids MIGHT be ablke to get a small immobile fish, but no polychaete worms taht are in home aquariums would predate fish. They are dying, and the worms are eating the dead bodies.

I have maybe 100's of bristle worms and some over 9" long and as far as I know they don't kill anything but the bad "stuff" on the bottom of the tanks.
Also I doubt she could "clean" them all if out if she wanted too,there very elusive and hard to catch or remove.
I like the free,extra clean up crew but my wife gets the hibbie Gibbie's when she see's one.
Just my 2 cents.

well like i said i think im just going to to have to go over and see what is there......that is what she thinks they are.......

jgarrett830;276263 wrote: come on up to the mtns of north ga ..and we will go get whatever it is..

I live in the N GA mtns... I would be glad to go and see.

Akopley- all joking aside, you are misinforming. I get it, its funny. But you were not "attacked". You touched an animal that has a defense mechanism. No more attacked than if you grabbed a cactus, got a handful of spines, and then claimed all cacti to be malicious killers.

yea you aren't to far away...across the mtn.......i am going to go over tomorrow...or so....she has more going on i think......will keep yall imformed..so where do u the your saltwater stuff...

Back