Broken-hearted without solution!

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
Yesterdsy I found Silly to late to help him.
I purchased 4 wrasse a year ago, he was one of 3 males. He was the last male alive. The other two have died in a similar way.
My tank is (completely) covered with a custom buit canopy that contributed to one death but that won't help this repeated problem. Anyone else have this happen?

Wrasse are my favorite fish. I am at loss of what to do to prevent these beautiful creatures from death. I'm ready to quit!

Any suggestions?

53A1D247-A677-4434-9EA8-AF9098E4E397_zps7a1gy5td.jpg
alt="" />

57E50FE3-D385-4045-BFE4-457AEB7114E0_zpslej1bpks.jpg
alt="" />

D2EB8EC1-184C-43A8-A9D0-6A2E13B29A6A_zps5ogbtd7v.jpg
alt="" />
BB3101C8-936A-42F8-B180-A83853452F84_zpsu8emp8wv.jpg
alt="" />

RIP
I'll miss the many smiles Silly brought to my face daily.

From what i can tell in the first picture, the water line isnt covered at all, correct?

</em>
Raz0945;1052066 wrote: Sorry for the loss of your friend, wrasses are my favorite too! Holley

Thanks Holley!

Correct, kinda!
The wrasse is laying on top of the over flow. The canopy is black but you can see the edge sitting on top of my rimless tank in the back of the pic. The waterline is further down, about an inch.
He jumped, landed on the over flow. I'm sure it was hot (LED right above it and MH on the sides) lights were probably on and he couldn't wiggle back off to water.
Slow, miserable death :(

Netting or glass.. or you could glue some more plastic on the overflow cover so any fish that lands on it would wiggle it's way back into the water.. sort of a ramp design.

Sorry for the loss Debbie. I was going to suggest what Crawford did. Angle the overflow cover somehow so that it slopes back toward water. It would take some cutting and gluing but it can be done.

to limit par loss you could try egg crate. im not sure how close your halides are though

Wrasses are jumpers, you need to find some way to enclose the top so there is no where they can land and not be back in the water, or cover the top so they cant make it out of the water.

Before I built my canopy I had 1/4" netting on my tank and it worked great(aside from a few fire fish that fit through it...go figure) Now with the canopy and a small piece of acrylic if a fish jumps it will bump on the sides of the canopy and fall back in the water.

It seems odd that another fish also died on top of the overflow cover...
So, they aren't getting OUT of the tank onto the floor, but they are just landing on the overflow cover?

Another option is just taking that cover off and putting a strainer of some kind on the overflow pipe.

You'd need to fish the fish out of the overflow though.... which can be a challenge haha.

B

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Wouldn't netting above the water line be a real PITA for daily feeding & cleaning. I've got a lot of sun coral and fat heat dendros I spot feed often. I'm not sure how I'd attach netting so that I could take it off and secure it back on a daily basics. Am I making this harder than it should be?

I made a screen cover for my 29 cube using Lowes DIY materials and have many more for my rental houses since but I wouldn't be able to use the metal frame here...
Wouldn't egg crate reduce par?

The overbox is pretty big IMO (10.5 X 7.5) at the widest area. Also being in the middle of the tank don't help.
What about making somthing out of plexi to sit on top of the overflow that's angled to a point at the top. I haven't thought this out at all and the over flow shape makes it harder but I'm drawing a blank on how to make a preventative angle .

FA14545D-541C-43EA-9A42-FF8D173FDEEE_zpshs5luzzu.jpg
alt="" />

SnowManSnow;1052112 wrote: It seems odd that another fish also died on top of the overflow cover...
So, they aren't getting OUT of the tank onto the floor, but they are just landing on the overflow cover?

Another option is just taking that cover off and putting a strainer of some kind on the overflow pipe.

You'd need to fish the fish out of the overflow though.... which can be a challenge haha.

B

Brandon, with my PVC plumbing and dual filter sock holders I don't dare not keep it covered. Even covered somthing got in my line several months ago and was a REAL pain to get cleared.
But you gave a great idea of maybe using netting over the top and a heavy duty rubber to hold it on, problem is that could be worse for a fish to get off!

Ender, I've got a complete canopy cover Darlin they arn't jumping out of the tank...

Awww maybe put something in the middle of the netting to bring the netting to a point in the center??? Hum whatcha think?

If you don't want to do netting then get glass lids in addition to angling the overflow covers. Unfortunately if you want to keep Wrasses you will have to compromise. Usually means dealing with annoying covers.

Sorry for you loss :(. To elevate the rear of the overflow top try using airline tubing suction cups. I know it sounds weird, attach the clip portion to the overflow with the suction facing up. That should give the lid enough surface to sit on and enough pressure on the clip side to keep it from moving. Plus those suction cups are pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkostuch;1052303 wrote: Sorry for you loss :(. To elevate the rear of the overflow top try using airline tubing suction cups. I know it sounds weird, attach the clip portion to the overflow with the suction facing up. That should give the lid enough surface to sit on and enough pressure on the clip side to keep it from moving. Plus those suction cups are pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a pretty neat idea!

Aw no, sorry about your loss. Silly was beautiful!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back