Broken heater

I have had great reliability from the titanium heaters I have used. Got them in both my reef tanks.

A Ranco temp controller always helps with over heating issues.

a>

rjrgroup;942357 wrote: A Ranco temp controller always helps with over heating issues.

http://www.sears.com/search=ranco%20etc%20111000%20electronic%20temperature%20controller%20120%20240v">http://www.sears.com/search=ranco%20etc%20111000%20electronic%20temperature%20controller%20120%20240v</a>[/QUOTE]

I didn't really think this through I guess. I assume my Apex controller will handle any over heating. Has anyone with a controller such as an Apex or RK ever had a heater malfunction and experienced a tank crash nevertheless? Say from an electrical current? I'd almost be more concerned about the electrical current in this situation.

I know Rob had an over heating issue, more than once, and his Apex didn't shut if off...not sure why. I know a lot of people use them, they are pretty bullet proof and have yet to hear of one failing. I'm sure it still can happen, just not heard of it. They are a great addition to chiller and heaters with the two channel version.

A little cuprisorb or something for heavy metals probably wouldn't hurt either.

DawgFace;942298 wrote: NeoTherm- 3 year warranty from a reputable company and not one negative review. Passes the first smell test in my book.

They
are the best heaters available, IMO.

Seems like they're having problems with a very small ammount of the 200W heaters.

Never had issues with BlueLine or Finnex brand titanium elements in 10+ years of using them. I have had a couple stop working after several years of service, but no bending or explosions or anything else to endanger my livestock.

I think that the Cobalt response is pretty solid in that thread. Out of 13000 heaters sold, there have only been 3 reported failures in 18 months. I am running 7 different neotherms, and they all seem nearly indestructible thus far. I like the profile and the temp remained constant in all of my tanks all winter long.

I can't remember where I bought it but here are the pics of the crappy heater
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
942417=52441-IMG_1139.jpg
>
942417=52441-IMG_1139.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1139.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
942417=52440-IMG_1141.jpg
>
942417=52440-IMG_1141.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1141.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Acroholic;942391 wrote: Never had issues with BlueLine or Finnex brand titanium elements in 10+ years of using them. I have had a couple stop working after several years of service, but no bending or explosions or anything else to endanger my livestock.

Stop working endangers your livestock or else why have them? Like you said that is the plus side with titanium, when they do go they just stop. Downside they do it far too often for my liking.

DawgFace;942444 wrote: Stop working endangers your livestock or else why have them? Like you said that is the plus side with titanium, when they do go they just stop. Downside they do it far too often for my liking.

No heater lasts forever. They all fail eventually. My livestock has not been endangered because I use more than one on my system, and I check the system temperature once a day. My experience with ti heaters is not the same as yours. They have been every bit as durable as any commercially made heater in my experience.

It is not fair to extrapolate that all titanium heaters are bad just because your experience has not been good, the same way I cannot say all titanium heaters are good just because I have not had the same negative experience you have.

There are good and bad heaters of all types and materials on the market. Everyone with any time in the hobby has to deal with heater failure eventually, be it from substandard quality or just the end of life of the product.

I've used finnex titanium heaters and had a 100% failure rate.
I have a 0% failure rate with ebo jager heaters over the 15 years I've been using them.

I use rancos in conjunction with the apex. The ranco is rock solid and gives me an extra layer of protection/redundancy.

Acroholic;942445 wrote: No heater lasts forever. They all fail eventually. My livestock has not been endangered because I use more than one on my system, and I check the system temperature once a day. My experience with ti heaters is not the same as yours. They have been every bit as durable as any commercially made heater in my experience.

It is not fair to extrapolate that all titanium heaters are bad just because your experience has not been good, the same way I cannot say all titanium heaters are good just because I have not had the same negative experience you have.

There are good and bad heaters of all types and materials on the market. Everyone with any time in the hobby has to deal with heater failure eventually, be it from substandard quality or just the end of life of the product.

I was not attempting to call you out bud just saying that while the "fail" I've experienced with Titanium has not been one of combustion it certainly can be catastrophic to a tanks inhabitants. Having redundancies like you have which I also incorporate is one of those lessons you learn by example or expirence.

Last but not least, I never said they were bad although I will admit I didn't go out of my way to suggest they weren't either. My opinion is they fail far to quickly and believe you are the exception and not the norm. I believe further that the manufacturers know and acknowledge by their warranties alone that they are far less likely to last with 6 months being the longest I've seen. One manufacturer even covers their glass heater for 12 and titanium for 6, seems straightforth enough for me.

Again I certainly don't take offense to your use and don't look down on you for that even if you acknowledge all I had to say here. For nothing more replacing heaters yearly is a small price to pay for insurance on our reef tanks. Knowing you'll likely never have heater malfunction and if something goes haywire your looking at a dead unit is priceless... If of course you have backups.

My 2 ¢

So what to take away from this is heaters are a huge risk, spend the $$ on a quality unit and if possible provide a second or third layer of protection if possible. I have heard of more catastrophic problems from heaters than any other single component.
On that note...I have 2 brand new 300 watt jagers for sale. :-D

DawgFace;942296 wrote: Titanium will fail, absolute certainty.

The above suggests titanium heaters are bad, doesn't it?

DawgFace;942302 wrote: Heat causes the titanium to warp and fail around the one year mark. I've had all brands, same result.

Doesn't this say all brands of titanium heaters fail at the one year mark?

DawgFace;942450 wrote: I was not attempting to call you out bud just saying that while the "fail" I've experienced with Titanium has not been one of combustion it certainly can be catastrophic to a tanks inhabitants. Having redundancies like you have which I also incorporate is one of those lessons you learn by example or expirence.

Last but not least, I never said they were bad although I will admit I didn't go out of my way to suggest they weren't either. My opinion is they fail far to quickly and believe you are the exception and not the norm. I believe further that the manufacturers know and acknowledge by their warranties alone that they are far less likely to last with 6 months being the longest I've seen. One manufacturer even covers their glass heater for 12 and titanium for 6, seems straightforth enough for me.

Again I certainly don't take offense to your use and don't look down on you for that even if you acknowledge all I had to say here. For nothing more replacing heaters yearly is a small price to pay for insurance on our reef tanks. Knowing you'll likely never have heater malfunction and if something goes haywire your looking at a dead unit is priceless... If of course you have backups.

My 2 ¢

Likewise, I am not trying to call you out either, but I have only seen wholesale condemnation of titanium heaters on this website. I have seen posting of issues with a particular brand titanium heater, such as JBJ Trutemp, but far less issues with titanium heaters in general than heaters of other types and materials, like Marineland Stealth.

I have titanium heaters with several years use and they are going along just fine. I would tell anyone considering a titanium or any other type heater that two smaller wattage heaters are better than one larger wattage heater, and redundant control in place is a further step towards safety for the reef tank. But I don't see titanium as any worse a material for an aquarium heater as any other.

It only took a heater to quit on me once to realize the benefits of using two heaters instead of one. Follow that on my lowly bio cube and I'll follow that rule on my 60 cube.

Never read about an apex failing to turn off heaters though. That's surprising to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjrgroup;942457 wrote: So what to take away from this is heaters are a huge risk, spend the $$ on a quality unit and if possible provide a second or third layer of protection if possible. I have heard of more catastrophic problems from heaters than any other single component.
On that note...I have 2 brand new 300 watt jagers for sale. :-D

:yay:

Bingo.

Back