bubbles

acura_rob

Market
Reaction score
Im seeing a lot of bubbles on a few rocks in my tank. What may be causing this? Im running a octopus skimmer also.

Acura_Rob;286889 wrote: Im seeing a lot of bubbles on a few rocks in my tank. What may be causing this? Im running a octopus skimmer also.

Cyano Alage, most likely...

Robb

I can tell you what I did - not sure if that is the proper protocol for saltwater:

Reduce food (nitrates and phosphates)
and eventually (depending on your live stock) reduce photosynthetic lighting period.
Basically starve em to death.

But please have a reef pro second that...

Robb

179075434_o.jpg
alt="" />

Do they look like this?
(left side)
Robb

Cyano algae...

I battled mine for a week - finally used nitrate reducers and were fine just with reduced food, no lighting cut down.

Robb

Rob you should break down your entire tank and just bring it to me. :)

I agree with Robb- cyano. Reduce nutrients, you can cut photo period (temporary solution), increase skimming, up water changes. Good luck. I have battled it before. Sometimes I win. Sometimes it wins. :)

Thanks everyone, I just added another powerhead last night. Im gonna start doing about 10 gallon water changes every 5 days until I win....

I think all the suggestions here are very valid.

On feeding: Try feeding more slowly, so the fish can better consume it helps. Also, if you feed frozen foods, do not pour the wet 'swill' that oyu get when it defrosts in the water. Use a spoon or something to just strain out the meat out avoiding the liquid. THe liquid is packed with yuckiness.

I feed frozen foods and that was part of my problem, so I strained the food from the packaged water and refroze with with RO water. worked great and i won :)

The only disadvantage I see to that is thet when you thaw and re-freeze something, it diminished the quality and nutrition of the food, I believe, thus making it necessary to feed more to attain the same nutritional value, THUS creating more waste. Something about it breaking down the cell walls and forming ice crystals in the tissue, but I could be mistaken.

Of course it makes sense though since PE mysis is supposedly the most nutritional Mysis you can buy, supposedly because the mysis are flash frozen alive, minimizing tissue damage.

I would think that thawing only what you need then straining it before feeding is the best approach.

But if it works for you, then who's to argue.

Back