Budget 40B advice and opinions

cosigner

Market
Reaction score
I bought a 40 Breeder this morning during Petco's $/gal sale. I am building this tank on a "budget" to hopefully inspire others who think the hobby is too expensive. I am steering clear of a traditional sump, and instead I'll be building chambers on one of the short sides of the tank similar to a peninsula style tank. This tank is a big step up from my BC14 so I am not worried about loosing that display area to chambers. It will also help with the footprint of the light I'm using.

I want opinions on how you would set up the chambers and the reasons why. I was planning on coming away from the side glass around 4-5", and having an area for chemical filtration, an area for a fuge, and an area for the return pump/ heater/ skimmer. I was initially thinking about making two corner overflows instead and incorporate small mangroves in the rock work. I also thought about making a false rear wall similar to a BC, but the MH I'm using wouldn't have a large enough footprint go cover the entire width of the tank.

I have everything I need to set this tank up aside from a skimmer and stand, I was just hoping for some experienced reefers to give me their thoughts and ideas on this project.

I'm also planning on removing the plastic rim and having a piece of glass cut to cover the top with a large access door or two. It would give a much cleaner look, and provide more support at the same time. Thoughts?

Most tanks done in the configuration you're talking about are done on the back wall. It makes more sense that way and easier to hide plus you get much more filtration room. The only reason I'd do an end is if it was going to actually be a peninsula tank.

porpoiseaquatics;921643 wrote: Most tanks done in the configuration you're talking about are done on the back wall. It makes more sense that way and easier to hide plus you get much more filtration room. The only reason I'd do an end is if it was going to actually be a peninsula tank.

Yeah but there's only 18" of width to a 40B so with only 6" of room for filtration you're down to 12" of width for a scape. It's doable, but not ideal.

Then again, the having all the filtration on one side of the tank seems like it would be pretty distracting from the display area. Not to discourage the OP but as far as budgeting is concerned, once you're another $100+ labor into the filtration area, pump, etc, a nice little used AIO setup for around $200 starts to look pretty nice.

I had the same exact plan for a 40 breeder I once owned. Of course that was 4 tanks and well over $1000 ago lol

I agree with you JD. 12" facing isn't ideal. For what it'll cost to do an internal, the OP would be as well off to do a sump. There's plenty of used ones out there for sale and it would probably end up less expensive in the long run.

I think there's a considerable percentage of "reefers on a budget" here. I know I have a pretty right budget. The best advice that I have to give to anyone on a budget is that a solid plan is priceless. Realistically, even if the DT is only 30~ gallons, you still need a qt setup, and other things like extra, yup, I said it, extra equipment that you might need in an emergency. I say this because it should be a part of the budget, not excluded

Edit:
porpoiseaquatics;921649 wrote: I agree with you JD. 12" facing isn't ideal. For what it'll cost to do an internal, the OP would be as well off to do a sump. There's plenty of used ones out there for sale and it would probably end up less expensive in the long run.

Yup. Keep an eye on the drygoods and livestock forum is my best advice. There's some steals in there from time to time. Your 40 breeder will always be worth $40, if you decide to go drilled. Those drilled 30g oceanic cubes FS right now are pretty sweet!

Maybe I didn't clarify the budget portion. I am doing this to show others what they could build on a budget... I didn't mean that I am on a budget and can't afford any better. I already have a ton of extra dry goods laying around and just purchased a MH from an ARC member. I have been wanting to upgrade to a larger tank and figured that since I have almost everything, why not see how inexpensive I can do a proper build. The key word being inexpensive, not cheap... Lol.

Someone mentioned that I needed a QT tank. I have a rimless biocube that I intended to use as such. And as someone else pointed out, I AM intending for this to be a peninsula tank IF I place the chambers on one of the short sides. The area of my living room where it will be displayed would fit a peninsula tank very well.

I know there are a lot of you who think that a sump is the only way to go, and sometimes it is, but for what my wife and I are wanting, it just isn't needed as of now. And if it isn't needed, it's just a waste of my money and time.

Anyone know of a good skimmer that will fit in tight spots? I have an Aqua C Remora that I could use.

Edit:
porpoiseaquatics;921649 wrote: I agree with you JD. 12" facing isn't ideal. For what it'll cost to do an internal, the OP would be as well off to do a sump. There's plenty of used ones out there for sale and it would probably end up less expensive in the long run.

It isn't going to cost anything to build the chambers. That is one more reason why I don't care to run a sump. I already have almost everything I need, so why go and make this more complicated / expensive when I don't need to.

I got the false wall and the chamber dividers cut tonight. Just have to decide where to cut the slits for the overflow and where to plance the hole for the return.

I love all in ones, been building them for years from 2.5g to 150g. Sumpless has been my choice because of space limitations early on and now I just prefer. I have built false walls on the back wall of tanks and one the side as you suggest, peninsula style. Off to the side has become my favorite because it allows easier access, it’s a wider area vs. a skinny area along the back wall.

My thoughts on chambers, 1st chamber to hold a heater, skimmer (usually a Tunze, they fit in tight spots) and a spillover for a true surface skimmer, 2nd chamber a fuge to grow macro algae (I also make a spot to place a sponge as a pre-filter if needed from time to time) and the 3rd chamber for a return pump and media reactor. I would advise against removing he top brace and replacing with glass, Your will have a glass lip that will be difficult at best to work around. I had a custom built 125g from glass cages like this and the glass lip was a real pain to deal with and the silicone at the seams just didn’t look right.

As for on a budget, I agree this can be done for pretty cheap, my 40g breeder cost about $180 without a light. That cost covered the Tank $40, plexiglass for false wall ad chambers $25, ¼” plate glass cover $20, used Tunze 9002 $55, Rio+ 1400 pump $28. I had silicone, Weldon glue, a heater and a light so those are not included in what I spent.

Here is a couple pictures of my 40b and my new 75 still cycling. Excuse the mess of the 40, its on its way out. Once I place a piece of 1/8” black acrylic over the filter area it give the tank a real finished look.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
921742=50798-IMG_2925.jpg
>
921742=50798-IMG_2925.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_2925.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
921742=50796-IMG_2927.jpg
>
921742=50796-IMG_2927.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_2927.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

dball711;921742 wrote: I love all in ones, been building them for years from 2.5g to 150g. Sumpless has been my choice because of space limitations early on and now I just prefer. I have built false walls on the back wall of tanks and one the side as you suggest, peninsula style. Off to the side has become my favorite because it allows easier access, it’s a wider area vs. a skinny area along the back wall.

My thoughts on chambers, 1st chamber to hold a heater, skimmer (usually a Tunze, they fit in tight spots) and a spillover for a true surface skimmer, 2nd chamber a fuge to grow macro algae (I also make a spot to place a sponge as a pre-filter if needed from time to time) and the 3rd chamber for a return pump and media reactor. I would advise against removing he top brace and replacing with glass, Your will have a glass lip that will be difficult at best to work around. I had a custom built 125g from glass cages like this and the glass lip was a real pain to deal with and the silicone at the seams just didn’t look right.

As for on a budget, I agree this can be done for pretty cheap, my 40g breeder cost about $180 without a light. That cost covered the Tank $40, plexiglass for false wall ad chambers $25, ¼” plate glass cover $20, used Tunze 9002 $55, Rio+ 1400 pump $28. I had silicone, Weldon glue, a heater and a light so those are not included in what I spent.

Here is a couple pictures of my 40b and my new 75 still cycling. Excuse the mess of the 40, its on its way out. Once I place a piece of 1/8” black acrylic over the filter area it give the tank a real finished look.

Yes! I love it! Thanks for the advice on the glass top... I'm going to steer clear of that then. What type of paint should I use for the non-display side of the false wall?

Edit: Oh, and I was planning on having a friend cut me some black vinyl to cover any parts that I don't want viewed from the outside. I wonder if that would also work good to cover the flase wall?

Edit: Oh, and I was planning on having a friend cut me some black vinyl to cover any parts that I don't want viewed from the outside. I wonder if that would also work good to cover the flase wall?

porpoiseaquatics;921658 wrote: In fact, there's a 40B sump on there right now for $50! That's a steal. Heck, I've even thought about buying it.

Can you give me the link to the 40b sump. Cant seem to find it in all the madness.

JDW;921746 wrote: Can you give me the link to the 40b sump. Cant seem to find it in all the madness.

I think he was referring to the one in the thread selling the 125gal. But that's only if and when it's parted out.

Here is what I used, only because I had it laying around. I have used acrylic, latex and enamel paints. Nothing rely sticks great to glass. Other may have some beter ideas on this but this is what I used. Best of luck on the project, post a lot of pictures as you move along.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
921754=50799-IMG_2943.jpg
>
921754=50799-IMG_2943.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_2943.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

dball711;921754 wrote: Here is what I used, only because I had it laying around. I have used acrylic, latex and enamel paints. Nothing rely sticks great to glass. Other may have some beter ideas on this but this is what I used. Best of luck on the project, post a lot of pictures as you move along.

And that is safe for being submerged in water?

No it's not safe inside the tank, thought you wanted to know what to paint the back side of the tank with. Shouldn't have to paint the false wall, use black acrylic.

Oh oh, there goes the budget...

Thats one option or just get a sheet of 1/8" black and laminate/glue it to the clear. I have heard folks using Krylon Fusion (I think thats what its called) to paint things that they place into their tanks but I would be afraid it will eventually come off.

Please consider if you want this to be a truly accurate example of what you could on a "budget" then you have to take into account that all these plastic/acrylic sheets your using for the sump area will have to be bought and cut which will cost money. You had them laying around which save you money. Also you need buy some sort of silicone or adhesive to glue it in place. Then also consider all the labor put into it. For some time is a lot more valuable the others.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you should figure all the costs if you had to actually buy everything needed for this build and include that in this guide, just so it's fully accurate. Some times these types of builds can be a lot more money then people realize. And then amount of $$ you save might not even be worth all the extra work involved in the end. Love the post by the way!

Here is a video of my tank on a budget, was a 20L and the only filter was a gravity fed turf scrubber.
I had less than $100 in this entire set up.

<div class="gc_ifarem_title">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Cs8X8sjV8</div>

Back