building a sump

joshl

Market
Reaction score
i am thinking of building a sump out of a aquarium, i have a 50 gallon tank right now and have a 125 superskimmer on the back and was wondering does anyone have a building plan or picture of how to build a sump out of a old aquarium?

and what size would work under the 50 gallon

i think like 48/13/18 off the top of my head just a standard 50 you would get at petsmart

I'm sure a 20 long would fit but there shoulb something a little bigger that would fit also

The quickest is to buy a plain(not drilled) glass aquariun and buy baffles made from ether acrylic or glass and silicone them in . I personally like sumps with a skimmer section , return section and a refugium. The refugium has a slotted divider between it and the return section. The skimmer section has a 3 baffle bubble trp in between it and the return.

Do i have to have the refugium, can i just put bioball on the other side of the skimmer baffles? i am out in left field on this right now i have a biowheel filter system

no a refugium is not a must but would do more for your system tham 100 gallons of bio balls ,stay clear of bio balls if it is a reef tank. Just curious why do you not think you want a refugium?

I would not say you need one but they are another weapon against high nutrients in you tanks. The need for one increases as you bioload increases. Please don't let me talk you in to something you don't want. I think they do a wonderful job helping one maintain nitrates and phosphates. There are lots of nice tanks without them.

Here is one I made out of a 40 breeder. I had a glass co. cut the baffles for me, but you can use plexi.

498312172_2hFRE-M.jpg
alt="" />

Grouper is right. If you're not morally against a fuge, then definately incorporate one into your sump. They're the easiest and cheapest way to help keep your water in good order.

What about my hob filter can i hang it on my sump?? for extra filteration?

its a 50 gallon tank, right now only 35lbs of live rock,50lbs of live sand and biowheel filter system and a superskimmer 125
i know i need more rock what is the normal is it 1lb per gallon or 2lb per gallon i have heard both and i have a few soft corals right now
what do i need to do?

I think I would let the bio wheel keep running while I added the sump even for a couple of weeks afterwards. If you like the amount of rock in your tank now you can always add rubble to your sump. I would do that even if you add more rock in the main tank. You will also need to get an overflow for your tank since I'm guessing it is not drilled?

Back