Building your own APEX

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
I posted this on another thread but I wanted to document this build. I have access to a bunch of things here at work, so I'm going to build my own "Apex" controller. Here is the beginning of the build.
MVIMG_20191211_150718.jpg
I have big plans for this. Including a touch screen computer to run different programs like feed mode, water change, and a few other things my mind can think of.

I'd say "it looks like you're off to a great start" but I don't really have any idea what I'm looking! I've certainly subscribed to the thread though.

I'd say "it looks like you're off to a great start" but I don't really have any idea what I'm looking! I've certainly subscribed to the thread though.
Right now its not much. Its basically just some of the components. Float switches, temperature sensor (long stainless steel thing), PLC (the brains that runs the programming), and some power outlets that i will be able to turn off and on.

Right now its not much. Its basically just some of the components. Float switches, temperature sensor (long stainless steel thing), PLC (the brains that runs the programming), and some power outlets that i will be able to turn off and on.
Let us know in the end if the total cost is worth it in the end ...

Let us know in the end if the total cost is worth it in the end ...
Probably not. I wouldnt do it on my own if i didnt have access to this stuff for free. Im able to do this stuff for free because im saying its "continuing education" stuff. Everything im using is not hobby grade things. Its usually used for industrial plants/machines so there is already a huge markup on cost for that.

I was gonna say touch screen interfaces and AB PLCs are not cheap
They are not. And the PLC im using is on the lower end of their PLCs. We get a little discount because we buy so many of them and its still over $200.

That looks like a great project, to further your education. Those controllers also look like they're built quite a bit more robustly than an Apex. Have to be for use in manufacturing.

Do the PLC's come loaded with a firmware and GUI that you can easily host on a website?

I'm following too, best of luck with the build. Please give us a cost break down when you're finished.

That looks like a great project, to further your education. Those controllers also look like they're built quite a bit more robustly than an Apex. Have to be for use in manufacturing.

Do the PLC's come loaded with a firmware and GUI that you can easily host on a website?

I'm following too, best of luck with the build. Please give us a cost break down when you're finished.
It does have firmware but doesn't have a GUI, that's why I'm going to use a touchscreen computer and design a GUI using Visual Basic Studio, so then possibly going down the route of hosting it but that is way down the road. I will send the command from the GUI either through Ethernet or RS32 to the PLC. The PLC is blank as far as programming goes so you would have to program all of the inputs (for example float switches), outputs (power outlets) and all of the things you want to do (feed mode).

It does have firmware but doesn't have a GUI, that's why I'm going to use a touchscreen computer and design a GUI using Visual Basic Studio, so then possibly going down the route of hosting it but that is way down the road. I will send the command from the GUI either through Ethernet or RS32 to the PLC. The PLC is blank as far as programming goes so you would have to program all of the inputs (for example float switches), outputs (power outlets) and all of the things you want to do (feed mode).
I would definitely be interested in the info as you go. I love tinkering!

Anyone that wants to get started with digitally monitoring or automating tasks can with a decent microcontroller. They function as PLCs and allow you to write your logic in usually C but also Python and others.

Arduino is good way to start. If you want to connect it to the internet and communicate with it then maybe the Raspberry Pi would be a good option.

Anyone that wants to get started with digitally monitoring or automating tasks can with a decent microcontroller. They function as PLCs and allow you to write your logic in usually C but also Python and others.

Arduino is good way to start. If you want to connect it to the internet and communicate with it then maybe the Raspberry Pi would be a good option.
I thought about going down that road because I already had a Raspberry Pi on hand because I want to build a smart mirror. But I went this route with a PLC because its "free". Im using this as an excuse for "Continuing education" for work. lol

Just kidding, but I had to follow this thread somehow.

(But still pretty nerdy)

following. what's your occupation Lawrence?
I work for an Engineering Consulting Firm. I have done everything from working in our shop, building our machines, and worked my way up to Mechanical Design/Engineering and now I moved over to Electrical Design/Engineering.

Back