Building your own APEX

Thought about doing this back when I sold automation & could buy it at our cost. It was too expensive then for my taste. Interested in following your build, so thanks for posting!

Thought about doing this back when I sold automation & could buy it at our cost. It was too expensive then for my taste. Interested in following your build, so thanks for posting!
Yeah if I had to pay for this on my own I wouldn't do it. Lol

So yesterday I started to tinker with the Temperature sensor and the data that I am getting back from it. I had to do some conversions to get from the raw data to Celsius then just the standard Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion. I'm using this information to, of course, be my heater control and it will be displayed for me to quickly glance at it. I think I'm going to add another temp probe for redundancy.
IMG_20191212_173111_01.jpg

IMG_20191227_212627.jpg
So quick update. I brought the components home for the holiday break. I just put it up on the cabinet for right now so I can do my tests. Once I get it all figured out I'll make it look pretty.

I've been able to do the heater control. I set the temp to 77° and I have a .5° swing between when the temp goes on(below 77) to when it turns off(above 77.5). I can change that if I need to. What do you guys think...should it be a shorter smaller window?

I have the temp probe in the sump. I'm probably going to add another one to the DT and then average out the two temps. Or is one a better than the other as far as when to turn on the heater.
IMG_20191227_212645~2.jpg

I've also installed the ATO float switch and got that to work. I glued it to my old ATO optical eye bc that stopped working so hey a free sealed magnet. Lol.
MVIMG_20191227_212557.jpg

I've been "designing" one that won't have the control strip. It'll control pumps using a 0-10v signal; monitor ORP, pH, Temp, and Flow; and have app access.

IDEC has some cool hardware with some very attractive starter packs. All of my probes will cost more than PLC components by a long shot!

So glad that @ZapataInc is going to take over; that makes things MUCH easier for me :D

I've been "designing" one that won't have the control strip. It'll control pumps using a 0-10v signal; monitor ORP, pH, Temp, and Flow; and have app access.

IDEC has some cool hardware with some very attractive starter packs. All of my probes will cost more than PLC components by a long shot!

So glad that @ZapataInc is going to take over; that makes things MUCH easier for me :D
Well you got me beat bc the only thing I'm monitoring is temp. I don't have anything for ORP, pH, or flow.

I've been able to do the heater control. I set the temp to 77 and I have a .5° swing between when the temp goes on(below 77) to when it turns off(above 77.5). I can change that if I need to. What do you guys think...should it be a shorter smaller window?

I have the temp probe in the sump. I'm probably going to add another one to the DT and then average out the two temps. Or is one a better than the other as far as when to turn on the heater.
I missed this question. Glad I re-read.

I think .5° is as low as I'd go. It doesn't put more cycling on the heater and outlet but it should be ok.

I run two temp probes, one in the DT & one in the sump. I control the heaters based on the DT temp and only have the one in the sump to monitor and have a backup. If the temp in the sump gets 3° higher than the low level target I get an alert. At 4° it shuts down two heaters. I run three heaters and recommend everyone run at least two.

I still can't edit post posts... "It does put more" "doesn't" was wrong. Damn phone...

Back