Built In Tank

izib

Market
Reaction score
Alright,

Now that I'm about to actually get the tank to ATL, I guess I need a few suggestions on the stand. While I want to do a wall built in this isn't possible due to the structural support for the upstairs going through the wall that the tank is on so I must compromise. I'm going to build it out from the wall (like a fireplace or built in bookshelf) but make it part of the wall.

Has anyone done this?
Any thoughts on the look of it?

What about the stand construction?
I was planning on using a 2X4 support system.
What do I cover it in though? I was planning on covering it in drywall but something tells me that isn't going to work well. Any other ideas? Or will it be fine? There will be a sump under it also if that matters.

One thing to think about is rear access... If you're not going through the wall, make sure there's nothing back there you can't get to from the front or sides (like plumbing, equip., etc.).

That said, your fireplace example gave me a great idea--how about brick or tiles? They can cover a wood frame that you build flush to the wall, and then extend against the wall to form a border around the stand. Just a thought.

I'm actually going to put rear access panels in the stand, its going to be against the garage wall. That being said all of the equipment will be outside, I'm even debating putting the sump in a room in the garage although I think that idea has passed.

As for the fireplace, I'm hoping it will look nice... Ive seen it done with a flush wall mount and it looks very nice. Tile wont really work for me though, my actually fireplace is all wood so I'm trying to match it as you will be able to see both at the same time. I'm just worried about having drywall surrounding the aquarium. That small space is going to get humid.

I'd be worried about that, too! I believe I've seen threads on RC where people have used a special type of sealant on their fishroom drywall to address the humidity. I'm sure you could ask about it at a hardware store.

The 2x4's will definately support the tank, if it is over 250 gallons though I, myself would step up to 4x4's for piece of mind when crawling under it to work. I used birch panneling from HD to cover my homemade stand, not an expert carpenter but it works, a few pics of it are here http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1266">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1266</a>

What your planning sounds sweet to me and being against the wall and equipment in the garage kinda reminds of The Oregon reef, a wonderful setup with ONE view, I think it would have been much better AS a peninsula setup but check it out for yourself since your still planning your setup it may give you some ideas.
[IMG]http://www.oregonreef.com/">http://www.oregonreef.com/</a>

If you use drywall, use the bathroom drywall which is moisture resistant. That should eliminate alot of your humidity issues.

Not to derail the topic too far, but puting equipment in the non-environmentally controlled garage won't cause big heating/cooling issues over the seasons?

George wrote: Not to derail the topic too far, but puting equipment in the non-environmentally controlled garage won't cause big heating/cooling issues over the seasons?

Yes sir, I would agree placing the equipment remotely like this, you would have to address the temperature issue's as well as possible venting of humidity to attic or outside. good point to bring out.

George wrote: Not to derail the topic too far, but puting equipment in the non-environmentally controlled garage won't cause big heating/cooling issues over the seasons?

Yes! Im still up for debate on what exactly Im going to do. I was planning on putting everything, including the sump, in a small room built on the side of the garage. This would be heated and cooled. Now Im considering keeping the sump under the tank and only putting the pump, calc reacter, etc in the small room built into the garage. Im wondering if it needs to be heated cooled if the water is only circulating through the pump out there.

As for the humidity, I was planning on using bathroom drywal. Will that be enough? Also, what if I painted it witha certain type of paint (any ideas? Id be worried that something HD would give me would be bad for the fish). With that said, I plan on venting the humidity out of the setup with an exhaust fan going to the outside.

Oregonreef is awesome! Now my little project seems so small. How I wish I could afford the electric bill on 12 400Watt MH! Thats very much like what Im planning on doing except on a much smaller and cheaper scale. The size of that fish room is probably larger than my garage.

Im in a space limited room in the dinning room so setting the tank a few feet from the wall isnt an option, I like the bookshelf idea though.

izib wrote: Oregonreef is awesome! Now my little project seems so small. How I wish I could afford the electric bill on 12 400Watt MH! Thats very much like what Im planning on doing except on a much smaller and cheaper scale. The size of that fish room is probably larger than my garage.

Im in a space limited room in the dinning room so setting the tank a few feet from the wall isnt an option, I like the bookshelf idea though.

But we can always dream. Between you and us.......after you saw it you either thought hmmm...I could go a lot bigger or you actually took measurements :lol: cmon, you can tell us

Measurements...

Alright, so does anyone have anything negative to say about the all-glass 90gal with the back overflow? Cappichino Bay can have it there Friday for $270 plus tax, that seems to be the best deal (not to mention awesome stuff). Has anyone had any issues with the all-glass built in? Ive currently got an external overflow and would really like a little more fullprof system.

Also, do you really need to buy the overflow plumbing? Im assuming you could buy the parts seperatly and make it better not to mention save some money.

All-Glass says that the 90gal overflow will handle 600gph, is this enough flow? Would there ever be a need for more?

izib wrote: All-Glass says that the 90gal overflow will handle 600gph, is this enough flow? Would there ever be a need for more?

Just my $.02 worth...

Flow means a couple of things... In and out of the tank (e.g. to Sump and back) is one thing. 600gph will be plenty. Flow over the live stock is another, this can be supplied by the return from the sump, with additional powerheads, or with a closed loop system. It is these last two that may need to be augmented over time (depending on what you keep). IMHO... Putting the overflow on oneside (or both sides for larger tanks) and the return on the other (or in the middle for larger tanks) is always the first thing to start with.

AS for your stand. Moisture really shouldn't be a problem. I would still use the bathroom sheet rock (If I remember correctly, it is blue in color). Use good plumbing techniques :)

Also, any good quality latex paint will be fine. Once it dries, it is completely safe. Although, if you paint the back of your tank black, it takes a "long" time for it to dry with all that water in there.... :)

ALSO, avoid making any decisions after drinking heavily. Skimate and Guiness look too much a like.

:cheers:

Well the tank is ordered (90gal all glass with overflow), it will be picked up on Sunday. Now its time to start building the stand so the75gal wont be in the garage long...

Back