Bulk water change vs continuous?

Silver Surfer;851472 wrote: I do both. Daily water changes in addition to my weekly cleaning. Any data on that action?
Never did it myself but a member here Silver Surfer does it and his tanks look awesome!:thumbs:

Silver Surfer;851472 wrote: I do both. Daily water changes in addition to my weekly cleaning. Any data on that action?

That's my plan as well...how long have you been doing your changes daily?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Looks like you will have a nice auto WC setup Chris. Glad you contacted BRS about the dosing pumps. Nice looking water tanks. My WC setup has been in operation for 2-3 weeks now and I love it.

If you have not already done it, when you get all set up, I suggest you set the Stenner to run for a period of time, maybe 15 minutes or so and catch the amount each pump head moves in that time period, which will let you do two things: 1. compare the water volume each head moves to make sure they are very close in amount, which they should be for long term SG stability in your system, and 2. to get an actual volume/minute flow rate, which will allow for easy volume per session changes if you decide to increase or decrease your daily amount. If you know the flow rate you can just increase or decrease the length of time the Stenner is on.

Here is a pic of my dual head Masterflex setup like your Stenner pump. At this RPM setting my pump heads move about 13 ounces a minute, and they run for 46 minutes, which changes about 4.6 gallons in that period. Once every 2-3 weeks I add about 10 gallons to the sump, then use a Python to vacuum out any detritus that has settled, so it gets a bit more volume change than just the daily auto WC amounts.

CIMG5201_zps3a2d327e.jpg
alt="" />

Water pulls from this 32 gallon Brute container. I refill from the PVC pipe you see above the can. I notched out the Brute cover for the intake tube going to the pump.

CIMG5202_zpsf04a4768.jpg
alt="" />

Waste water goes into this Tee to the outside of the house. The two vinyl tubes are an overflow from my ATO reservoir to the outside and the other carries RO waste water to the outside.

CIMG5203_zps32a3a85d.jpg
alt="" />

Nice. Thx for the tips. Yup...pretty much the same approach, cleaning is still something that will still have to be done...but I'm hoping those days of toting buckets and buckets of water are over! I have already been using an Aqueon Water Changer and it works quite well...It will be a few more weeks before I get started, I still have a lot of build items remaining on my LED fix, and plumbing....

chrishet;850993 wrote: Phase 1 complete....I ordered a Stenner 170 dual head adjustable pump and a pair of 40 gal storage tanks. The 40 gal tanks will allow me to swap about 2 gals per day and go 2-3 weeks between SW mixes. I've also ordered a new BRS ATO pump, I already have one of these pumps. This second pump will be for topping off SW should the salinity levels drop. Now the transformation from bathroom to fishroom begins....

storage tanks1_med.jpg
alt="" />
awc_1_med.jpg
alt="" />

those two tanks look perfect for what I need, hummmm....

where did you get that Stenner and how much?

Thanks!

Uswatersystems.com...$399 for a dual head low pressure pump, 170gpd...not cheap but will save me a lot of time/effort...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The stenner pump works great but is loud. Just to warn you.

It takes me 2 hours for around 5 gallons.

Thx...mine will be in the equipment room so noise shouldn't be a prob...I've been curious how well trace elements and other water params stabilize using this method...do you test your SW reserve often?

Mine is down in my sump room, also. I test every new batch of salt and add elements when needed. Also have my pump on the apex with float switches (back up).

chrishet;851666 wrote: Uswatersystems.com...$399 for a dual head low pressure pump, 170gpd...not cheap but will save me a lot of time/effort...

Worth every penny IMO......That pump should work for years before you ever have to do anything to it.

chrishet;851454 wrote: Plastic-Mart...$120 each, after shipping cost.

Chris,
Not sure if i am looking at the wrong things but the
a>.  So is shipping close to $50 for each tank

ddaddy2420;855239 wrote: Chris,
Not sure if i am looking at the wrong things but thehttp://www.plastic-mart.com/category/109/plastic-storage-tanks"> tanks i see that are 40 gallons are the vertical storage tanks for $71.95 each</a>. So is shipping close to $50 for each tank?[/QUOTE]

Yup...shipping was about $50 each...

Back