Bulkhead leaking....

legalreefer

Market
Reaction score
A bulkhead on my Rubbermaid sump has began to leak. It is pretty significant. Does someone have a recommendation of an underwater sealant? I can also drain the sump below the bulkhead but I will have to turn the system off will fixing it and/or dry time.

I recommend just replacing the bulkhead outright, if it is the bulkhead itself that is the issue. Will be the quickest and easiest solution in my opinion. No dry time. Even if you have to cut PVC to change it out and use a coupler with new piece of PVC to connect back should take no more then 10 mins to do and you can turn the system back on after another 10-20mins of drying time.

I try to stay away from any sealants or glue to fix problems like this as it is more of a patch then a true fix to the problem and could likely return in the future. Better to fix the issue the right way the first time around.

Jakub

aXio;1059713 wrote: I recommend just replacing the bulkhead outright, if it is the bulkhead itself that is the issue. Will be the quickest and easiest solution in my opinion. No dry time. Even if you have to cut PVC to change it out and use a coupler with new piece of PVC to connect back should take no more then 10 mins to do and you can turn the system back on after another 10-20mins of drying time.

I try to stay away from any sealants or glue to fix problems like this as it is more of a patch then a true fix to the problem and could likely return in the future. Better to fix the issue the right way the first time around.

Jakub

:yes:

There is a special place in h-e-double-hockey-sticks for people who put silicone on bulkheads.

I'm 100% with Jakub on this one.

Jenn

JennM;1059756 wrote: :yes:

There is a special place in h-e-double-hockey-sticks for people who put silicone on bulkheads.

I'm 100% with Jakub on this one.

Jenn

Lol

LegalReefer;1059711 wrote: A bulkhead on my Rubbermaid sump has began to leak. It is pretty significant. Does someone have a recommendation of an underwater sealant? I can also drain the sump below the bulkhead but I will have to turn the system off will fixing it and/or dry time.
Is the bulkhead in the bottom of the sump or the side?

What is the minimum drying time for pvc cement before use? Also, do you all use the cleaner before the cement? I typically clean, cement, and then let set over night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

huskerreefatl;1059858 wrote: What is the minimum drying time for pvc cement before use? Also, do you all use the cleaner before the cement? I typically clean, cement, and then let set over night.

if a bulkhead is still in question then you shouldn't use any glue / cement on the fitting... If it is the pipe inside the bulkhead I suppose you COULD, but it is generally threaded.

To answer the question... I normally give it a half hour then throw water though the pipe

I guess that i mean for other connections rather than directly on the bulkhead. Do you use the purple cleaner beforehand?

I use the clear cleaner/primer myself , just looks neater to me. Hour or so for dry time. actually probably closer to 30 minutes sometimes.

30 minutes drying time max for PVC cement. If the customer is willing to pay for the extra time it takes I do the primer. If not just using the PVC cement has always worked for me, never had any leaks.

I took everyone's advice and replaced. I guess I needed to hear it from other people. Y'all are my voice of reasoning lol! Thanks!

Back