Bulkhead Question

circlek

Market
Reaction score
I have an all glass tank with a built in overflow. I ordered 1" and 3/4" bulkeads from an on-line store, and they came in today.

When I put the 3/4" bulkead into the hole, there is more wiggle room than I would like. In other words, because the bulkead can move around in the hole there is less gasket in contact with the glass then there could be if the bulkead fit more tightly. Is this something I should worry about?

I have read that there is no standard outside diameter for bulkeads. If this is the case, how can I order a bulkead that fits correctly in an all-glass tank?

Karl

I've also read that some people use silicon on both sides of the bulkheads for extra insurance. What do you think about that?

Karl

I wouldnt think silicone would be the way to go at all, you may want to move the tank one day.

If your sure that the size is going to work, just make sure the rubber gasket is on the inside of the tank and HAND tighten. If you are unsure, measure the hole and go to a lfs, Bulkheads arent that expensive and you are better off for your own piece of mind talking one on one with somebody familiar with it

If you use the flexible bond silicone like the tank has on its seams, it should peel away pretty easily to remove the bulkhead. Might need a bit of work with a razor blade afterwards to get it all off.

What I find that people forget when they start building plumbing is that the bulkhead won't come out ever if you cement a bunch of PVC to it on the back side, especially elbows. I've also noticed that newer bulkheads don't have the 1 1/4" threading out far enough to thread an FPT connection onto them anymore which is pretty annoying, IMO.

You may have bought sch40 bulkheads and the holes may be cut to allow sch80 bulkheads. Although technically not needed, many feel sch80 bulkheads are safer. Sch80 bulkheads need a hole that is 1/8" larger than the corresponding sch40.

KernelPanic;45619 wrote: You may have bought sch40 bulkheads and the holes may be cut to allow sch80 bulkheads. Although technically not needed, many feel sch80 bulkheads are safer. Sch80 bulkheads need a hole that is 1/8" larger than the corresponding sch40.

+1

Back